Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/how-changing-cvt-fluid-4410/)

Harold 01-10-2009 09:24 AM

Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

I just use ramps when I change oil! Once the oil is draining into my plastic bucket I carefully lift the shield and bucket up to the closed possition and prop it with a block. Let it down in 30 min. and button her up and complete the job.:)
Cheers,H

Mendel Leisk 01-10-2009 10:13 AM

Yeah, I know, that's a bit more stable too: you still have 2 wheels on the ground. I just prefer the extra room a 4 wheel lift affords. It is really handy for tire rotations as well.

My new jackstands have plenty of range. They will not need to be extended far, which is good I think: fully extended jackstands are closer to their stability limits. Plus the new jackstands have nice wide bases. They're "6 ton" and have range around 16"-24". I also plan to roll our 4 summer tires under there (2 stacks of 2) to keep me company, in case of the unmentionable.

BTW, I said our MM asked for CVT fluid change just after 3 years, having a brain bubble: it was actually just after two years (46000km).

Harold 01-10-2009 01:04 PM

Yes there are times when you require more space. H

Mendel Leisk 01-13-2009 12:30 PM

Went through with the CVT fluid change last weekend. My secondary motivation was to practice raising the car suffic. to flip down the engine compartment shield. I raised the car approx. 12", and found the shield had almost enough room to rotate down to vertical, had to push and bend it a bit.. Two more inches, 14" total raise, would be much better. The rocker panel bearing points about 6.5", so bottom line: a jackstand height of 20" mininum will give you good clearance. An inch or two less, and you have to push and bend some.

Harold 01-13-2009 12:56 PM

Hi Mendel;
What made you do another change?:confused:
Hal

Mendel Leisk 01-13-2009 07:23 PM

Not sure what you mean: it's been approx a year for CVT since last change. I am figuring to one CVT fluid change per year.

Harold 01-13-2009 09:11 PM

That is just me and my 60's moments Mendel. I did not read your Oct. post close enough.
cheers Hal

Mendel Leisk 01-13-2009 09:48 PM

Hey, I hardly remember the '60's. Just kidding, I do ;)

One CVT change per year is double what our MM has asked for, so far, but I'm ok with that. I think the interval is too long, it doesn't hurt to go to yearly (though the fluid is expensive), and I think it makes more sense than this "flush" business. Just doing a single change yearly amounts to about the same thing.

Plus if I don't do it yearly the '60's might catch up with me: doing things once a year is relatively easy to remember. Every other year: not so easy. I do keep a log though, good practice.

Orient Express 01-14-2009 08:11 AM

CVT Fluid change interval

The recommended CVT fluid change interval is 30,000 miles or 2 years. Anything more is at the discretion of the owner.

wb6vpm 12-17-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by fanfaron (Post 185225)
What happened to the image??? I'm planning to do my cvt oil changed and I'm coming back to this post to know how to do it and the images are gone!!!

Please can someone put back the image?

thank you

yeah, where are the pics?