Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Hello, 2004 Civic Hybrid "problem"? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/hello-2004-civic-hybrid-problem-19954/)

RNS 10-03-2008 12:27 PM

Hello, 2004 Civic Hybrid "problem"?

Hi, neat little forum you guys have here. I tried doing a simple search for my problem, but it seems that the previous problems people have had aren't quite the same.

My 2004 HCH started having problems upon startup. If I turn my key to the "on II" (I believe... the one that turns the engine) position too fast, the car will not turn on, the engine just turns, and the hybrid battery will discharge (when I am able to turn the car on, this battery shows 0 charge). Now, if I move the key from off, to the first on position, wait a second, then move the key one more place, it turns on fine. What the heck is going on here? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

RNS 10-03-2008 12:28 PM

Re: Hello, 2004 Civic Hybrid "problem"?

Originally Posted by RNS (Post 188424)
Hi, neat little forum you guys have here. I tried doing a simple search for my problem, but it seems that the previous problems people have had aren't quite the same.

My 2004 HCH started having problems upon startup. If I turn my key to the "on II" (I believe... the one that turns the engine) position too fast, the car will not turn on, the engine just turns, and the hybrid battery will discharge (when I am able to turn the car on, this battery shows 0 charge). Now, if I move the key from off, to the first on position, wait a second, then move the key one more place, it turns on fine. What the heck is going on here? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Also... none of the lights are giving any indication that anything is wrong... forgot to add that.

cb450sc 10-04-2008 05:14 PM

When was your 12 volt battery last changed? Check its chage. I hope your problem has this easy solution.
:lightbulb

HCivic-England 10-08-2008 05:59 AM

afternoon,
I own a 2003 IMA, generaly what is most likely happening is your not giving the systems time to reset and engage (these being the software systems, they self calibrate the gauges on the dash, plus they run a self diagnostic on start-up) there are 3 stages to your ignition;
0 - all off
1 - battery (internal ancilliaries, radio, internal lights etc)
2 - ignition (at this point all the dash lights up and the self diagnostic and calibration is run, allow at least 5 seconds before turning key to next position)
3 - Start (IMA unit will start the ICE, key should be held in position for no longer that 2 seconds)

Hope all this helps, I got this information directly from HONDA UK, as I was also finding similar problem.

L

read2me 10-14-2008 06:58 PM

I too have a 2004 Civic Hybrid and I am having a similar issue. My car will simply not start at random times. The lights on the dash and all come on fine, but the engine is completely SILENT. After turning the key on and off 7-8 times the engine will just turn over as if there was never a problem.

Then the car will turn on fine for a couple weeks and just today I went out the the store and when I got back in the car it would not start. After about 10 tries, it just started right up.

The engine does not make a sound when it won't start, no trying to turn over or cranking noise. Just silence then it suddenly starts right up.

Harold 10-14-2008 09:25 PM

Sounds like you need a new 12 v battery! H