Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Dumb question, need creative answer... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/dumb-question-need-creative-answer-12941/)

spartybrutus 04-03-2007 07:20 PM

Re: Dumb question, need creative answer...

Maybe a remote starter for one or both - cardinal sin for FE though.

or just leave the 2007 running all the time - to get it back down to the 2006 mpg :)

TheBundo 04-04-2007 12:32 AM

Just leave the keys in the ignition of each. Doh

zimbop 04-04-2007 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 119404)
Just leave the keys in the ignition of each. Doh

You know, that's not a crazy idea. The harder they make it to carry keys around, the more likely I am to do this. These anti-theft efforts are really becoming counter-productive. Now we're hearing reports that people just break in to your house to get the keys when they realize they can't hotwire the car. Now that's a bigger problem than a stolen car in my book. Plus replacing the key and fob costs more than my insurance deductible on a stolen car. So tell me, why should I want a key with a chip in it?

noflash 04-04-2007 07:21 AM

The chips belong in our brains....

cylverbak 04-04-2007 08:50 AM

If you want to be on the bleeding edge (so to speak) here's an idea
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Entrepreneur's_RFID_chip_implant_to_open_doors,_st art_car
Sorry, couldn't resist :P

IMAhybrid 04-04-2007 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by zimbop (Post 119212)
I have been dreaming of a simple flat metal key ever since I bought my HCHI. I have looked and searched far and wide and the consensus is that it's impossible. There's an immobilizer chip in that horrible knob of a key, so aside from sawing off the metal part, drilling a hole in the stub for the keyring, and gluing the knob to the steering column, there isn't much that can be done about it. Pisses me off every day.

If you're not overly worried about anyone stealing you car you could leave a valet key in the car under the dash somewhere, that's how people get remote starters to work. Since the transmistter is in the car already you wouldn't need to carry around a giant key.

gumby 04-04-2007 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by noflash (Post 119431)
The chips belong in our brains....

Can you be sure they're not already?... :omg:

gumby 04-04-2007 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cylverbak (Post 119453)
If you want to be on the bleeding edge (so to speak) here's an idea
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Entrepre...ors,_start_car
Sorry, couldn't resist :P

Yo silver, GREAT 1st post! Welcome.

cylverbak 04-06-2007 06:01 AM

Thanks gumby. I hadn't realized that this was my first post :)
I picked up my HCHII in May last year and found this site very shortly thereafter. Lots of excellent information and tips for a new hybrid owner. It seems that someone was always asking my question before I did so I've been lurking ever since.
Almost a year into hybrid ownership and still loving it. It's like driving a video-game :D

twogreens 04-06-2007 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by cylverbak (Post 119782)
Almost a year into hybrid ownership and still loving it. It's like driving a video-game :D

That's funny, I feel the same way. I watch the instant fuel economy meter constantly when I drive. I actually enjoy my 35 mile trip to work every morning, as it is a challenge to squeeze a couple more tenths of a mpg out of each trip. Although my coworkers just don't get the thrill of the difference between 53.5 and 53.8 mpg. They are just jealous.