Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Coasting in neutral for mpg (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/coasting-neutral-mpg-18450/)

HemiSync 06-09-2008 07:33 AM

Re: Coasting in neutral for mpg

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004 (Post 175717)
If I want it to charge faster/maintain a higher level I drive with my headlights on.

I tired this yesterday, while the SOC was up over half I turned on my headlights and did not see any kind of forced recharge. Was this what you were referring to, or am I really confused?

Hot_Georgia_2004 06-10-2008 11:55 AM

Re: Coasting in neutral for mpg

HCH1 Try this:

If you're freeway driving getting no regen and the SOC is below half with no apparent charging - it just sits there below half : Switch your headlights on.
4 Green bars should appear a few moments later and carry it above half and go out - and slow charge will bring it all the way up to normal full.

If you use Assist and drop your SOC, the IMA will not allow it to remain less than normal full, it will always attempt to bring it back up.

Yes the charge goes out and switches to Assist when needed, but then surely charging will resume and attempt to take it all the way up to normal full.

If your headlights are off
The IMA is unpredictable. It may keep your charge to normal full, or just let it work itself down to a lower charge, even well below half.
There it will remain until you work it down to a certain level, usually below half, where charge bars come on, then go off. At that point it might run all the way up to normal full, or just work itself down without charging again.

That explanation not only applies to freeway but all driving- it's just the example is easier to notice on the freeway/highway where less starting/stopping is going on.

But I no longer pay that much attention to it and just let it do what it does. I've heard the batteries need an occasional "rest" from the tension of a full charge and don't deliberately manipulate it anymore.

I got the headlight tip from Wayne Gurdes (xcel) quite a few years ago, who experienced the same thing in his Insight. At the time I was wondering why I'd hover around 1/2 charge going to work (afternoon) while it was always normal full going home (night)

I hope that wasn't too confusing, it's a bit difficult for me to explain. :embarass:

I don't know if it applies to HCH II or not.
-Steve