Question about battery indicator w/AC running in slow traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Question about battery indicator w/AC running in slow traffic

I'm a brand new Accord Hybrid owner, though I've been driving Accords for years. So, sorry if I'm asking a question that's been posed before:

During my first extended road trip, the family and I were caught in a long delay in Interstate traffic. It was hot as blazes, so we were running the AC. The battery indicator continued to go down, down, down, until it got to one bar. I had no idea what happened if and when we got to zero bars and couldn't find anything in the owner's manual. So, we reluctantly turned off the AC, opened all the windows, and crept along.

So, what would have happened if I'd have kept the AC running? Would the engine simply have kicked in and run the AC? Would we have simply stopped running in the middle of that mess (surely not!)?

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about battery indicator w/AC running in slow traffic

There's not enough information in this post to really know. But let's say you were stopped and autostop was engaged. Your A/C compressor is a dual mode one. Meaning, when the engine is running the A/C is mechanically run. And when the autostop is engaged, the A/C is in electric mode (running off the hybrid batteries). So yeah, if you're in autostop, sitting in traffic, with the A/C on, then the battery meter will deplete faster. Sometimes a lot faster. Once you get down to one bar (or maybe no bars, I don't remember) the car will restart and begin to recharge your hybrid batteries.

If this sounds like what your car is doing, then yeah, it's normal. It's freakin' hot out there. Go ahead and leave that A/C on.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

You will be fine. We too were stuck for FOUR HOURS in traffic that moved about 2 miles in that time. No ramps to get off or nothing.

Cars over heating all around us and I was waiting for our turn to breakdown or whatever.

The HAH handled it all with ease. it would regen when it had to and a/s when it could. Although it was the WORST traffic backup I was in, it was definitely a great experience to learn what the car will do.

Its been well thought out and I am less concerned than ever about it.

Tony

Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

Many thanks for the responses.

My problem was one of sitting still with the engine shut down but the A/C running in a low mode. It's comforting to know that the engine will kick in when the battery gets too low.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Question about battery indicator w/AC running in slow traffic

Originally Posted by Buzz Clik
Many thanks for the responses.

My problem was one of sitting still with the engine shut down but the A/C running in a low mode. It's comforting to know that the engine will kick in when the battery gets too low.
Hi,

I just traded in a Honda Civic Hybrid 2006 Model and it would do the same thing. Meaning the battery pack would just keep dropping and then the engine would automatically start back up and recharge the battery pack. It is all automatic on both Hybrids.