New Hybrid Driving Technique

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Hybrid Driving Technique

My wife has a very interesting driving technique-- she steps on the gas for a few seconds (3-5s) and then completely lets off the gas for a few seconds (3-5s). She never uses steady pressure... ever. So basically, the car is ALWAYS either accelerating or decelerating. It is highly annoying if you are the passenger, but interestingly enough she gets about 46 MPG in her 06 HCH - which is very good for Chicago given our extreme weather and terrible traffic patterns. I am very careful with my 06 HAH and use the trip computer to guide how I drive. I try to not accelerate too quickly, and I am very steady. I get about 30-32 MPG in Chicago. The other day, she borrowed my HAH, and I was VERY surprised to see that she returned it to me with better mileage that I had. She used it for local trips, and I am sure used her usual always accelerating or decelerating. It is not really "pulse and glide" -- she does the "pulse" but there is no glide. Also, her variation in speed is small - maybe 5-8 MPH as opposed to the typical 10+ of "pulse and glide." Does this make sense to anyone? Why wouldn't her constant stepping on the gas ruin the mileage? Any ideas?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: New Hybrid Driving Technique

Originally Posted by citywolf
My wife has a very interesting driving technique-- she steps on the gas for a few seconds (3-5s) and then completely lets off the gas for a few seconds (3-5s). She never uses steady pressure... ever. So basically, the car is ALWAYS either accelerating or decelerating. It is highly annoying if you are the passenger, but interestingly enough she gets about 46 MPG in her 06 HCH - which is very good for Chicago given our extreme weather and terrible traffic patterns. I am very careful with my 06 HAH and use the trip computer to guide how I drive. I try to not accelerate too quickly, and I am very steady. I get about 30-32 MPG in Chicago. The other day, she borrowed my HAH, and I was VERY surprised to see that she returned it to me with better mileage that I had. She used it for local trips, and I am sure used her usual always accelerating or decelerating. It is not really "pulse and glide" -- she does the "pulse" but there is no glide. Also, her variation in speed is small - maybe 5-8 miles per hour as opposed to the typical 10+ of "pulse and glide." Does this make sense to anyone? Why wouldn't her constant stepping on the gas ruin the mileage? Any ideas?
HI,

I have to tell you that I agree with you that would drive me CRAZY.

But it must work for Her.

I have No-Idea how that makes any kind of sense at all.

Personally, I read that you have the Accord hybrid and if I were you I don't think I would be trying that as it has a completely different trans. than the HCH II with a CVT Trans in it.

I just purchased the 07 Accord Hybrid and before it I had the 2006 HCH II.

They are as you know completely different cars. One is a 255 HP very fast sedan and the other is for FE (fuel-economy). If you are getting 32 MPG in Chicago traffic I would leave well enough alone.

I think you are doing Great as far as FE in Chicago Traffic.

Terry

Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Hybrid Driving Technique

Thanks Terry! Interesting thing, though, was that when she drove my car (06 HAH) the mileage improved! There must be something to her crazy driving technique.
--Aaron

Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: New Hybrid Driving Technique

Thanks Terry! Interesting thing, though, was that when she drove my car (06 HAH) the mileage improved! There must be something to her crazy driving technique.
--Aaron
Aaron,

Yeah but she is not going to tell us.

Terry

Old 09-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

The main reason why that would happen is because the transmission is "coerced" into selecting a "higher ratio" which results into a low RPM operating profile for the engine. This is almost like doing early shifting in manual transmissions. Operating the engine in a lower RPM range will more often than not increase FE.

Of course, this is a very common technique in vehicles equipped with a CVT since there are far more numerous pre-programmed ratio points available than what our typical 5 speed transmissions can provide. GaryG (FEH) seemed to have coined the phrase "fake shifting" to describe this effect and it works pretty well even in vehicles without a CVT.

Additionally, for this technique to work well it is necessary to have very good foot control over the gas pedal in order to avoid regen as much as possible, otherwise the low RPM advantages are nullified by the unnecessary loss of forward momentum.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A lot of newer cars, even non-hybrids, have fuel cut under extremely high vacuum conditions that occur when you quickly lift your foot of the accelerator. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

I think I figured it out. Maybe there is a different technique for the HAH than any of the Toyota models!!

It turns out that if you step on the gas for 3-5 seconds, you almost always get motor assist, then when you let off for 3-5 seconds you almost always get regeneration. It seems to me that almost the entire time you drive like this, you are getting the best of the Honda hybrid functions. This is the only way I have found to get significant IMA function. I hope several of you try this, because it is starting to work for me. We may have figured out a better way to drive the Honda Accord Hybrid that is unique to the Honda!!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: New Hybrid Driving Technique

I think I figured it out. Maybe there is a different technique for the HAH than any of the Toyota models!!

It turns out that if you step on the gas for 3-5 seconds, you almost always get motor assist, then when you let off for 3-5 seconds you almost always get regeneration. It seems to me that almost the entire time you drive like this, you are getting the best of the Honda hybrid functions. This is the only way I have found to get significant IMA function. I hope several of you try this, because it is starting to work for me. We may have figured out a better way to drive the Honda Accord Hybrid that is unique to the Honda!!
Very interesting.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

My own experience has been that I get better mpg when I accelerate hard (although not like I am trying to do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, which will use up lot of fuel) from stoplight which causes all assist bars to come on. My theory has been I am maximizing IMA usage by doing this and not using as much gas compared to when I accelerate slower, not get much assist and end up burning more gas. When I get to my target speed, I simply maintain constant speed which keeps me in ECO mode. I also try to roll to a stop as much as possible which helps keep the IMA battery charged up.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I just gt a used 2003 civic hybrid and am wondering what other tips can be used to improve mpg?

Thanks
J

Quick Reply: New Hybrid Driving Technique

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands