HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

Aussie, from what you've posted it sounds like your commute is a difficult one. When you combine that with cooler temperatures it really can make a difference, especially at the beginning of your drive. I have not gotten a tank over 60mpg, but I've come close. It amazes me how just the slightest reduction of pressure on the accelerator can make a big difference in the impg. It sounds like you are already doing this, based on your comments (pulling it up! ). Yes, I drive in a real world with real hills (don't get me started!) and real traffic lights . I'm sure that when the warmer weather comes your way that you will watch the mpg's rise along with them.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
The Devil's in the detail

Thanks HyChi. I'm still averaging around the 5.2L/100klm (45mpg US). I guess that unless you're prepared to go to extremes this is about the best I can expect in the "real world". And in reality it's about twice as good as my last car which was getting about 22mpg.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Aussie, it's been a couple of months now and the weather here is cooling off alot! I'm now getting between 46-50mpg depending on the weather. I'm sure that as we are plunged into the depths of winter I'll be happy to keep my mpg in the mid-forties. About that time, you should be seeing your max mileage. I hope you are enjoying some of that beautiful Aussie sunshine!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

I have only 550 miles on our new hybrid - and getting 41 mpg

1/3 highway
1/3 city w/ lights
cold 40's-30's
accel. very slowly when I can - coasting

I drove our university hybrid last year for a week and avg. 50 w/ mostly hwy. a mix of city and hwy in the U's hybrid got around 60. that was in the summer. does weather really have that much to do w/ high mileage?

also see that when I switch to the out door temp, then go back to the mpg, it gets set back to a diff. mpg.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Aussie,

Your numbers sound very real to me, I can only achieve 53+ when I really work at it, otherwise it around 45. Granted I drive a HCH I so things should have gotten better but you won't find me defending the FE on any new hybrid. In fact I am one of those that believe the numbers are not that impressive at all. Relative to what other non-hybrid can do... especially diesels.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Aussie,

Your numbers sound very real to me, I can only achieve 53+ when I really work at it, otherwise it around 45. Granted I drive a HCH I so things should have gotten better but you won't find me defending the FE on any new hybrid. In fact I am one of those that believe the numbers are not that impressive at all. Relative to what other non-hybrid can do... especially diesels.
yep - I just came from a VW TDI - avg. about 47 mpg overall. great car - too tight in the backseat.

thanks! i feel better that 41 is is pretty good. I just wonder why the computer was showing 60 on our university vehicle - that was a new 06 at the time - only had 1000 miles on it, so may not have been fixed (wasn't there a prob w/ the computer - mileage, or something?)