HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 PM
The Devil's in the detail
Default What am I doing wrong?

I can't for the life of me get over...or for that matter close to 50 US mpg, as converted from litres per 100klm's.

I'm using the US gallon = 3.785 litres as the conversion

Even the Australian EPA rates the combined fuel efficiency at 4.6 L/100klm which equates to about 51 US mpg - and that's pretty optimistic.

I see on this forum that there are many HCH II owners that average well above that!

I'm really pleased if I hit 5L/100klm = 47 US mpg !!!!

Driving on mostly freeway and country roads the best I can muster is 4.9 - 4.8 for short periods. If I put any less pressure on the accelerator I'll be pulling it up!

Tyre pressure is 44psi. Maximum speed is no more than 110 kPH

...and how the hell can you get over 60mpg!!!!

I mean...you have to drive in the real world, with real traffic and real hills?

Any clues?

Last edited by Aussie; 08-30-2006 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

Over 60? No idea. However, I found I get much better milage if I accelerate quickly, then coast, or on slower roads, maintain speed (which hits the MPG meter at around 75MPG). On highway, I pretty much get 50-53 just using cruise at 68mph. The last few tanks I've been between 48-50MPG driving relatively normally mixed city and highway. I'm starting to hit my break-in FE increase. How long have you had it?

Old 08-30-2006, 05:29 PM

About 4 months now.

Just coming into spring now. I hope that FE might increase with the warmer weather...still our winters never go down as far as freezing, so I don't think the cold weather could of had that much of an effect on FE.

Are your roads mainly flat?

Old 08-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Aussi,
Could it be your fuel? Does your country use an ethanol blend of fuel?

My experience is that hybrid cars do NOT simply give up the mpg easily. The capability is there for improved mileage but it must be coaxed out of it every time you get behind the wheel.

While I too wouldnt like to have less mpg than the other folks, there are too many variables and actually, your mpg seems pretty darn good.

It does take plenty of time and effort to accomplish what these hypermilers are getting for FE. The higher FE is a reward for doing all sorts of things to maximize their FE and their own best mpg stats from the past.

Hang in there

Tony

Old 08-30-2006, 05:45 PM
new owner

i'm hoping just to get 5.5l/100km, currently I'm out at 6.95l/100km, tyres at 40psi, 100% urban driving.

I accelerate like an old man, perhaps the trick is to rapidly accelerate then coast?

Old 08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
iSteve

Well im in the same boat 15000 klm's and my best was 5.09l/100klm
over a full tank
I find it very difficult to stay under 5.7 or so average

are these guys quoting instantaneos figures aquick reset and welcome to fantasy island

Old 08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Aussie
Driving on mostly freeway and country roads the best I can muster is 4.9 - 4.8 for short periods. If I put any less pressure on the accelerator I'll be pulling it up!

Tyre pressure is 44psi. Maximum speed is no more than 110 kPH

...and how the hell can you get over 60mpg!!!!

I mean...you have to drive in the real world, with real traffic and real hills?

Any clues?
Aussie, have you checked Tarabell's article on the HCH-II ??

All I can say is that I have consistently obtained better than 4.9 l/100km after reading her article. I suspect I would get even better milleage if my commutes had significant freeway or highway segments. As it stands my driving is all in city traffic and in relatively flat topography.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-30-2006, 06:14 PM

I never use fuel with ethanol!

From new the worst FE I got was 5.7L/100klm.

It's been steadily dropping as I learn more, but I think it took a while to run in too.

I noticed a big change after the first 10,000klm service, and then another big drop (we're talking 0.2's here) after I increased tyre pressure to 44psi.

And just lately another drop with the warmer weather (20c). I'm now hitting 4.8's fairly early on in the tank, whereas it used to take the whole tank to get to 5.2.

I wonder if the warmer weather could make that much of a difference.

In all reality my driving style is pretty much the same, but it seems easier to keep the FE guage below the 6L/100klm more often now.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

The urban driving is probably it. In heavy urban traffic, I get near 40MPG. More spread out urban, I can stay around 50, but in downtown traffic, the milage is very hard to get up.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Energy Independence

How long are your average trips?
I am just now getting a little bit better MPG, but still nowhere near 50MPG (yet!).

I find on my 37 mile trip to work, that I can get 45 MPG or better.
On shorter, tooling around trips (5 miles or so to the store, dinner, etc.) I have trouble maintaining 40MPG.

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands