Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Synthetic Anyone? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/synthetic-anyone-19562/)

Dream'R 09-24-2008 02:11 PM

Re: Synthetic Anyone?

I am satisfied that synthetic oil is the way to go for newer vehicles once they are properly broken-in. Use the lowest viscosity recommended by the manufacturer.

I was interested to read that Toyota has recently revised their recommended oil to 0W-20 from the 5W-20 or 5W-30 previously specified. Others may have done the same.

As for the change interval debate, I think that unless we have an actual oil analysis to make informed decisions it's best to stick with what Honda, etc. recommend. For many drivers, time intervals are more relevant than mileage. Cold weather and short trips can have a far greater impact on oil life.

The exception I would make is that older cars would normally be better served by using conventional oils specifically made for higher mileage vehicles. Stick with the lowest viscosity for the ambient temperatures you will encounter.

Orient Express 09-25-2008 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by cgaiii (Post 187699)
Real newbie question here. How does one go about getting the oil analyzed? I saw the Blackstone results you posted, but what is the process?

Go to Blackstone Labs and request a free oil sample kit to be sent to you.

Take a sample of your drain oil, fill out a data form and send it to them in the kit along with payment, and in about a week they will send you the results via email.

Once you register a car with them, they will update the oil use history on the car every time you send in a new sample. They will send you as many sample kits as you want, and you send them back as you use them. It is really pretty simple.

Kacey Green 09-25-2008 05:47 PM

How much do they charge?

Orient Express 09-25-2008 07:52 PM

The price of the test depends on which test are done. They post their prices on their website.

skoh 10-16-2008 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mattnanel (Post 185202)
If i'm not mistaken, Honda 0W20 may be Mobil1. At he dealer, 0W30 is $3 per qt and the 0W20 is $9 per qt. The only other 0W20 I have been able to find on auto parts shelves is Mobil1. Other than the weight, I cannot imagine any other difference that would cost $6 per qt more. I believe that Mobil makes a lot of other manufacturers oils including Honda and Toyota

Toyota and Honda dealers should have 0W-20 in quarts. And some dealers now have it in BULK.

My local Toyota dealership offers a 0W-20 oil change for $44. But, you have to specifically ask for 0W-20. Otherwise, you may get what is in their bulk tank which may be 5W-20 or 5W-30.

If you are a Do-It-Yourself (DIYer), you might want to look into ENEOS Fully-Synthetic Oils manufactured by Nippon Oil. www.eneos.us
- expensive!

ronnie38 10-17-2008 06:39 AM

My local auto parts house stocks Moblie 1 and Castol in 0w-20 but you have to ask for it it is not on the shelf.
I have been using synthetic since 2000 my Z3 has 135,000 and still keeps on ticking.

sublme 11-25-2008 01:30 PM

I just follow the maintenance minder and i go about 8000 miles before change. Isn't that what it was put on the car for?? Follow the same thing on my S2000 and no problems. My dealer doesn't put a mileage on the window oil change sticker anymore just a 5 %.

skoh 12-10-2008 01:00 PM

0W-20 is generally synthetic - at least Group III which is considered synthetic in the USA. Here is a quote from the GF-5 website (Lubrizol): "Formulating 0W-20 oils requires the use of Group III Base Oils."
http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/ingredients/

Do-It-Yourselfers have many options as long as the 0W-20 is API approved to keep the warranty provisions.
Here is a list of API approved 0W-20: http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByVisc...iscosity=0W-20

Superjay 12-18-2008 05:47 PM

blackstone labs kit ordered.