HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rude Driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rude Driver

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
leahbeatle,

I hope you know I'm not trying to go soft on speeding or condone irresponsible driving. Just love this forum situation where I try to accomodate member A only to get rebuked (or seem to) by member B for doing it {sigh} The only thing I was accomodating Gobbles on was drivers significantly going under the posted limit.

I've posted often that I will go under the limit but stay far right and encourage others to pass. As hard as I try, a few chose to use the right shoulder or access lane to be offensive.
Delta Flyer:
I do know that you are not generally one to go easy on this issue, which is one reason I was surprised and frustrated by your original posting. If I reacted too angrily or took your words out of context, I'm sorry. I don't mean to take anything out on you.

Look, most of us 'slowpokes' try to use the right lane whenever possible. Sometimes I have trouble with that, as I set up for left turns or right after a left turn (another law most people ignore- turning into the proper lane. Left lane when making a left turn, right lane when making a right.) and sometimes if I do find myself in the left lane trying to get right, a bottleneck of people trying to pass me on the right blocks me from getting over and out of their way. No matter how carefully you drive, trying to be safe, follow the laws, and not irritate other drivers, you just can't always do all three and you have to make tradeoffs. Lots of people just seem way too concerned about the third and don't think enough about the first two, IMO.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned

leabeatle,

Even though I'm almost out the door for the Insight Marathon (attempt to go over 2000 miles on a tank at 150mpg or better), I want to say all is forgiven and the misunderstanding is resolved. I enjoy reading your posts as their delivery is generally outstanding. If I had initially told the complete story about the bottleneckers maybe some trouble could have been avoided. I just got in too big a hurry.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Candid Camera

Originally Posted by shawnb
I have survailance cameras that record my driving so I'm not too concerned of an incident how to prove what *really* happened (because everytime I've had to use the recordings its *always* because the other party is lying.) That continued for a while... then I take out my digital camera and turn on the flash and pop my hand out the window and snap a shot of him tailgating me...
It amazes me that you feel a need to have surveillance cameras in your car and have actually ever had an opportunity to use them. Is the Bay Area different from every other place in the country? I don't feel like I'm driving in a war zone. I rarely get into any kind of road rage situation with anyone, and when someone seems to get angry it's sufficient to ignore them and let it pass.

I've been driving more moderately than before in the HCH. When driving often on the 101 south during rush hour, I find myself in the left lane because it moves a bit faster (maybe 25 MPH average compared to 22 in the next lane). Traffic is stop and go, and when it starts moving I accelerate slowly, knowing that it's going to stop again. I may open a 20 car length gap to the car in front of me before catching up. Sometimes cars from the next lane cut into the gap. I don't care. It may irritate drivers behind me a little, but I've never had anyone so much as flash their lights. Ultimately, we all get to our destination at the same time, whether we accelerate gradually and then glide to a stop, or we alternately step hard on the gas and the brake. I know where the logjam usually breaks, and when I get to that section of road I accelerate more aggressively.

As for the carpool lane, my personal speed limit is 67. If that's any faster than the next lane over, I will stay in the carpool lane no matter if someone is tailgating. If traffic in the next lane is moving as fast I move over.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

While my driving habits have changed significantly since owning a hybrid, I still hold that you should go with the flow of traffic or get to the right. Hybrid or not, if you're going 1,2, 5, whatever over the speed limit in the fast lane and traffic is pulling away from you b/c you're going markedly slower, get over!! In IL, we have a law to this effect though not many drivers in the Chicago area hold to it. While it may seem self-righteous of us to promote safety, etc. by going a "reasonable" speed, it is a courtesy to other drivers, and in some cases, a safety issue, to move over for slower traffic. At work I drive an international ambulance. On the freeway, going lights/ siren, I will move to the middle lane b/c the speed is governed to 60-65 mph, and people pass me in the left lane. I agree that driving like a maniac is crazy and I've seen a few people personally who never mad eit home to try to save 90 seconds. 2-lane roads are another story, as the idiot driving an '07 suburban who tailgated me trying to go 60 in a 40-zone today attested to, but on multiple lane roads, move over for crying out load if you want to go slower than the flow of traffic (speed limit or not). Is it really worth getting run off the road or, worse yet, not making it home at all because of a reckless driver, road rage, or some other misfortune not your fault just to prove a point in the HOV lane, fast lane, I-Pass lane, etc?

Old 10-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

I will defend shawnb having survailance cameras, as driving all over the US has gotten to the point it's justified. The best solution is simply to crack down on speeding and agressive driving to the point driver start thinking they will actually get caught. Instead of an optional defensive driving course, the flagrant violations would have a manditory anger managment class. In other words, it would be an ordeal for them to get their licence back - a reminder that driving is a privilage - not a birthright.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Candid Camera

When he finally kills himself, his epithet will read "died because he was stupid." Unfortunately he will cause far more accidents than he gets into. Kind of like the guy who nearly ran me off the road screaming at me, after trying to follow me, waving his firefighter's badge at me, with 5 IAFF union stickers on his SUV, because he almost hit me while HE was weaving through traffic. At least those who should learn from the mistakes of others, actually do. The psychological factors behind road aggression are pretty clear but I still just don't get what the big deal is sbout saving 3 minutes or less...