Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Problems with OEM Dunlops (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/problems-oem-dunlops-20641/)

dpayne 12-30-2008 12:51 PM

Problems with OEM Dunlops

I just got my car from its B1 service at 21k miles and 2 of my tires are almost bald! At my 10k oil change the tires were all at 8/32 and therefore were not rotated. I come in for my second oil change and the treadwear is; 3/32 on the rear, and 7/32 on the front. The wear appears even across all the tires. What would cause my rear tires to wear so much more than my front?? I drive very conservatively and might corner hard now and then. I don't corner hard enough to make the tires slide or make any noise. You would think corning hard would wear out the front tires more that the rear ones. I inflate all 4 tires to 42psi. Has anyone else experienced this?

Doug

default 12-30-2008 01:54 PM

Re: Problems with OEM Dunlops

I believe it is a common problem and has to do with the rear camber. Can't find the thread but do some searching...

kristian 12-30-2008 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by default (Post 194581)
I believe it is a common problem and has to do with the rear camber. Can't find the thread but do some searching...

The bad rear control arms shouldn't be a problem for an '08--I think that was on the '06s and early '07s. Still, it does sound like you might have some alignment problems dpayne--have you had an alignment done on your car?

dpayne 12-31-2008 04:42 AM

No, I haven't had an alignment done. I will have that looked at. Thanks for the info.

livvie 12-31-2008 06:21 AM

Was the alignment done with the Hybrid specs in mind? I'm just wondering if they aligned the car to the normal civic spec which I believe has more camber. This is a complete guess.

wick1ert 12-31-2008 06:23 AM

If you have an NTB near you, the offer alignment with up to a 1, 3, or 5 year warranty. Otherwise, their normal alignment includes 6 month 6k miles. Even Sears has the 6month thing too. I chose the 5 yr back when I got my regular Civic, which is coming up on 5 yrs ago (I traded it in for the 'brid). Needless to say, if you drive near any kind of area that does road construction, you'll want the extended time warranty. I feel like no matter where I go within a 15 mile radius of my house, there is some type of construction going on 365 days of the year. It's quite annoying! There was a time that I went in every 3 months to get the alignment done, and sure enough, it was out each time due to all the construction bumps!

dpayne 12-31-2008 07:56 AM

I am getting new tires (Yokohama AVID TRZ) next week at Discount Tire. I will ask the tech there why he thinks my tires have worn this way and discuss an alignment.

dpayne 01-05-2009 01:23 PM

I found out Discount Tire does not perform alignments. I called Buerkle Honda and described the circumstances to a service advisor. He agree that something doesn't sound right. I made an appointment to have them look at the alignment of the vehicle. I will keep you posted.

peking 01-05-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dpayne (Post 194929)
I found out Discount Tire does not perform alignments. I called Buerkle Honda and described the circumstances to a service advisor. He agree that something doesn't sound right. I made an appointment to have them look at the alignment of the vehicle. I will keep you posted.

Buerkle Honda in White Bear Lake, MN? If so, that's where I bought mine. No issues with the OEM Dunlops wearing down (quickly). At 34K, they still have a lot of tread on them but aren't so good for winter driving.

dpayne 01-06-2009 11:08 AM

I also bought my car from Buerkle Honda in WBL, MN. So far I have had no trouble with them except the difference of opinion between two of their service advisors. When I was waiting for my B1 service at 21k miles a service advisor came out and said my two rear tires needed replacing. I asked him why they wore out so quickly and he said that can happen and that I should replace the two tires. I had them rotate the tires and left. After looking into this problem I concluded that it would be extremely unlikely that the two rear tires would wear out evenly across the tread while the front ones wore down much differently. I called the dealer back and said I think something is wrong and would like the car looked at before I put new tires on the vehicle. The service advisor that took my call agreed and I made an appointment to come in 01/07/09.