Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   An old 5-minute fix gives me a 10 MPG boost! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/old-5-minute-fix-gives-me-10-mpg-boost-23881/)

stevenvillatoro 02-14-2010 07:19 PM

An old 5-minute fix gives me a 10 MPG boost!

My gas mileage was declining with each successive tank of gas... 44, 42, 39 MPG... With months of construction at my house, I had been neglecting to check my tire pressures... that is, until last week when I hit an embarrassing all-time low of 36.9 MPG. A quick tire pressure check showed a huge loss of 10# per tire – from my normal 43/41 (front/rear) to just 33/31. Now, with corrected pressures and 220 miles on my latest tank, the instant readout shows a more typical 47.3 MPG tank average.

kristian 02-15-2010 06:31 AM

Re: An old 5-minute fix gives me a 10 MPG boost!

I did the same thing when I first got my HCH. I have a compressor in the garage now, which makes it easier to keep my tires full.

Mendel Leisk 02-15-2010 09:15 AM

Funny thing, your pressure low point is more-or-less what Honda recommends.

noflash 02-24-2010 06:07 PM

I'd check mine, but the potholes are absolutely enormous right now and I fear a blowout. The temps got up into the 20s today and I am actually back over 40mpg. My last tank in the teens was 39mpg.

nf

Smurf 03-01-2010 03:19 PM

That reminds me. I need to check mine.

I also keep the pressure more on the high side to improve mileage.

Just because the tire pressure warning light hasn't come on doesn't mean I am not losing potential fuel mileage....

stevenvillatoro 03-01-2010 05:00 PM

That's exactly why I bothered to post on this topic. Time flies – and air pressure is rather easy to overlook. But it's hard to get a bigger bang-for-the-buck! I've since added an alarm on my computer for a reliable monthly reminder.

Mendel Leisk 03-05-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Smurf (Post 219558)
That reminds me. I need to check mine.

I also keep the pressure more on the high side to improve mileage.

Just because the tire pressure warning light hasn't come on doesn't mean I am not losing potential fuel mileage....

I guess the tire pressure monitors are hard wired to some specific pressure? Too bad, but probably due to legislation, to avoid people setting it to 10 psi.