Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Issue with cold transmission (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/issue-cold-transmission-20418/)

sublme 11-30-2008 03:28 PM

Issue with cold transmission

Anyone else have the issue when the transmission is cold in the morning(its been in the 30's here Farenheight) when you put it into gear it does not move until you give it some gas then it jumps forward, it does the same thing in drive or reverse. Kinda like a nuetral drop in a car with a regular trans. Is there a fix? Seems kinda of dangerous since I go flying out of my parking spot.:omg:

Harold 11-30-2008 04:14 PM

Re: Issue with cold transmission

Yes this is normal when the temps get down to the freezing levels! You don't have to gas it , because it will engage eventually.H

mmrmnhrm 11-30-2008 08:37 PM

Yep, take it easy, it'll catch. Just wait until you're in single digits ;)

sublme 12-08-2008 08:59 AM

How long does it take to engage?

sublme 12-08-2008 09:02 AM

Has anyone taken it to the dealer or are you just assuming this is normal?

Harold 12-08-2008 09:44 AM

Three sec. or so. Varies with colder temps.This is norm, but if you think you may feel better, take it in! H

retraite 12-08-2008 06:32 PM

Add a block heater and use it below about 40 degrees Farenheit - makes a BIG difference in the mornings.

Easier starts, quick heat, smooth tranny - 'tis all good.:)

Cheers.

sublme 12-16-2008 12:49 PM

The longest I have sat there is 15 secs and it still would not engage, I didn't feel comfortable waiting any longer, seems like something is wrong. If I give it a little gas it goes but kinda throws it into gear hard.

kristian 12-16-2008 02:00 PM

That doesn't sound right. I usually notice it taking a second or two (rarely as much 3-4 seconds). At that point, I give a tiny bit of gas at and it goes smoothly.

If you take your foot off the brake, count 3 Mississippis and then lightly press the gas pedal, what happens?

sublme 12-17-2008 02:54 PM

I press the pedal as light as possible and then all of a sudden it will drop into gear and I go flying out of my parking spot at my apartment complex. I am afraid I am going to go flying out into someone. I also have a stop sign about 400 feet after I leave my parking lot and it will do the same thing at the stop sign. I come to a complete stop and then when I let off the brake it doesn't want to move so I give it a little gas and then the car takes off like before.(not as bad but noticeable).