Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   catalytic converter class action lawsuit (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/catalytic-converter-class-action-lawsuit-21924/)

BamaGirl13 02-14-2010 10:04 AM

Re: catalytic converter class action lawsuit

I have an '05 HCH that I purchased used in February '09. My check engine and maintenance required lights came on in October '09. The dealer told me I needed my 12V battery and catalytic converter replaced and quoted me a price of ~$2400 for parts alone. He said there were 2 converters that needed to be purchased. I didn't go for what he was trying to sell and didn't believe him, but my MPG has definitely gone down. Also, my car won't start now. I had to be jumped off yesterday, and the battery supposedly charged all the way. Is the converter related to the 12V? Do I actually need the converter replaced, and what is a more reasonable price? My car has 126K on it, so am I covered by any warranty? Thanks!

mrkcohen 02-14-2010 11:31 AM

Buy a new 12V battery at your local auto parts store and install it or have somebody who knows how do it. It's the same as changing the 12V battery in any other car. The car won't start without a good 12V battery regardless of the state of the IMA battery pack. You didn't mention the IMA or battery lights coming on so I'm assuming it's just a bad 12V battery.

As for the catalytic converters, if they aren't covered under warranty any more you might have to eat that. I had to buy one myself for $1300. Warranties vary state to state so you need to check your cars paperwork if you have it.

Best of luck...

BamaGirl13 02-14-2010 12:23 PM

mrkcohen - Thanks for the info and help! I'm going to try it this afternoon and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

civichybridminded 03-03-2010 04:47 PM

Did you get it sorted out, Cassie?

drozzin 03-05-2010 04:10 PM

How about some "CARB" states require 150k miles warranty on emission related components of hybrid vehicles? Do you live in one of them?

civichybridminded 03-05-2010 06:50 PM

Which states are they?

drozzin 03-06-2010 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by civichybridminded (Post 219805)
Which states are they?

California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont
Here is the link: http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Documen...s/AWL31583.pdf

BamaGirl13 03-15-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by civichybridminded (Post 219671)
Did you get it sorted out, Cassie?

Thankfully I was able to get the 12V battery changed without any problems, but I still have to sort out the Check Engine and Maintenance Required lights. My catalytic converter probably needs to be replaced, but I can't imagine that it would cost well over $2000 just for parts. :confused: I'm going to try to see if the codes just need to be updated first. What do you think?

cbxtc6 03-16-2010 08:55 AM

You can purchase new converters from an aftermarket supplier. RockAuto has mine ('04 Civic hybrid MT) for $170.

The Great Gazoo 03-16-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cbxtc6 (Post 220474)
You can purchase new converters from an aftermarket supplier. RockAuto has mine ('04 Civic hybrid MT) for $170.

I was thinking of doing the same thing and doing it in my drivway or at least buy the cat from Autopartswharehouse.com or Rockauto.com for $180.00 and bring it to my local garage and have them install it for me what can that cost another $100.00 for 1 hour labor. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain