Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Tahoe 12v, CCA are worthless? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/tahoe-12v-cca-worthless-29925/)

westnewton 09-10-2014 08:44 PM

Tahoe 12v, CCA are worthless?

Selfish questions, since my battery is stock and dying...

So... The engine is started by the 300v battery applying power through the motors in the transmission, right?

So why should I care what the cold cranking amps are on the battery? I really should be looking for a battery with the highest reserve capacity that will fit in the space. I am talking about a deep cycle battery.

Anyone agree or disagree? Since all the 12v battery problems I see on here are due to the 12v loosing too much juice to keep the computers happy, it seems to me it is way more important to have more reserve capacity and not cranking amps.

I am sure the CCA and RC probably increase with each other to some degree...

evois 09-11-2014 05:36 AM

Re: Tahoe 12v, CCA are worthless?

just keep it stock oem battery. since the hybrid doesn't have an alternator, where will that juice be coming from to keep your 12V battery happy? from the 300V.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 09-11-2014 11:37 AM

Higher reserve is better in this case.

hybrid-theory 09-12-2014 10:55 PM

I used a red top Optima for a replacement on the stock lead acid Delco in my Hybrid Tahoe. I'm at about 4 years on the Optima which is a miracle Here in Arizona. I believe the stock Delco lasted just over a year which is not unusual in the extreme heat here.

If the stock Delco wasn't sealed and water could be added as needed it would last much, much longer, I have non-sealed lead acid batteries in several motorcycles that are over 10 years old because I trickle charge them and add water as needed.

You could go with a yellow top Optima if you want a deep cycle battery or if your budget permits, I have found Braille batteries are the lightest and best quality battery I have used, but they can be pricey.

evois 09-13-2014 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by hybrid-theory (Post 253976)
I used a red top Optima for a replacement on the stock lead acid Delco in my Hybrid Tahoe. I'm at about 4 years on the Optima which is a miracle Here in Arizona. I believe the stock Delco lasted just over a year which is not unusual in the extreme heat here. If the stock Delco wasn't sealed and water could be added as needed it would last much, much longer, I have non-sealed lead acid batteries in several motorcycles that are over 10 years old because I trickle charge them and add water as needed. You could go with a yellow top Optima if you want a deep cycle battery or if your budget permits, I have found Braille batteries are the lightest and best quality battery I have used, but they can be pricey.

I searched Braille batteries and they are as expensive as the 300V? I'll stick with any good 12V brand.

hybrid-theory 09-14-2014 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by evois (Post 253978)
I searched Braille batteries and they are as expensive as the 300V? I'll stick with any good 12V brand.

They aren't all very high priced, they have some really good ones in the $200-$500 range (which is expensive but not insane). but yes, it's true they do have some that cost $3000+(ok, that is insane).

Although I use Braille Batteries in several of my vehicles, I used an Optima Red Top in the Tahoe, I didn't see the need and I find the Optima completely adequate for the Tahoe.