Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   When I'm about out of gas . . . (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/when-im-about-out-gas-15795/)

bwilson4web 10-31-2007 11:24 AM

Re: When I'm about out of gas . . .

Originally Posted by WaltPA (Post 148227)
. . .
Doesn't always waiting until the tank is dry and you are completely out of fuel, bad for the vehicle? Gosh, I did that just once, years ago, by accident and I still remember that draining the tank dry resulted in the fuel filter clogging, etc. I can't imagine any doing that over and over again, on purpose.

Cars equipped with a fuel bladder avoid most of this problem. There is no 'air space' above the fuel to support condensation or bring in via a vent, dust and and dirt. The bladder expands when filled and shrinks when emptied and the air is separate from the fuel.

Bob Wilson

nash 10-31-2007 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by sward (Post 148104)
My real answer doesn't appear as an option, but would be something like "On low fuel alarm, smile, knowing that the car will go another 100+ miles before I really need to fill up".

That is my feeling as well. I typically reset the B trip when the low fuel light comes on. I then fill up when it is convenient, knowing I am driving on my 100 mile "reserve".

chiedoziedike 10-31-2007 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by nash (Post 148240)
That is my feeling as well. I typically reset the B trip when the low fuel light comes on. I then fill up when it is convenient, knowing I am driving on my 100 mile "reserve".

I do exactly the same thing.;)

LOL TCH 11-03-2007 07:07 PM

I usually try to fill up 150 miles after the gas light comes on. This gives me about one gallon to spare.

wdmark 11-04-2007 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by LOL TCH (Post 148531)
I usually try to fill up 150 miles after the gas light comes on. This gives me about one gallon to spare.

I am in greater Tampa too. Please share your secret(s) for the super(ior) MPG you're getting. Post in another or new thread if need be.

LOL TCH 11-04-2007 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by wdmark (Post 148566)
I am in greater Tampa too. Please share your secret(s) for the super(ior) MPG you're getting. Post in another or new thread if need be.

I've tried to explain it a couple of times but the threads seem to get a little out of hand. I don't want to go there again. I'll PM you.
-Ed