Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

what are gas prices at for you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: what are gas prices at for you?

The predicted record usage this year is NOT a step in the right direction.
This WILL cause the price to increase, possibly dramatically, this year.
That WILL help the causes of more fuel-efficient/replacement options, and eventually people will shrink their gas appetites, as it hurts their pocketbooks more and more, and as more good alternatives hit the market.

I hope.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:36 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Here in upstate NY
Mobil...
Reg $2.87 Mid: $2.97 Prem: $3.11

Most others
Reg $2.71 Mid: $2.81 Prem: $2.95

Makes you wonder how there can be such a price difference in the same area between the brands.... oops forgot that Mobil has had record profits for how long now.

Hold on for summer.... Will we see the $4.00+ as some folks are predicting?

Old 03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Steve: We hope so, too.

Bob259- I don't know if we'll see $4 gas, but I'd be shocked if it doesn't go back above $3 again around here. Right now we're sitting right around $2.69, and places like CA are well above $3, so I think $3 and probably even $3.50 is inevitable this summer.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah I expect $3/gal in most places for the summer - $4/gal or $5/gal seem unlikely, unless another hurricane hits the Gulf. As to how likely THAT is... that's very hard to predict. Global Warming is in full swing and leads to more harsh weather (like hurricanes), but hurricane season has been very unpredictable lately... we might get nothing, or we might get the worst year we've ever seen.

If troubles with Hugo Chaves in Venezuela escalate, or the political problems in Mexico lead to damages to oil there (most of our oil comes from Mexico and Canada), then that would also lead to $4/$5 prices. But barring those, I bet $3/gal.

Bob's earlier posted article noticed that demand for gasoline is falling at an unusual time of year out here on the West Coast where $3/gal is a steal ($3.15 is typical). Perhaps $3/gal is the tipping point that makes people move to other options - taking the bus and train, selling the oil-burning '87 for a hybrid, etc. I've certainly seen a lot more Priuses and Civic Hybrids on the road lately, and I've spotted about 4 Insights in 6 months.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:28 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: what are gas prices at for you?

Makes me wonder if we all will continue to see all the Hybrids just sitting on the dealers lots as they are now if gas continues to go up?

Then it will be interesting to see how members can purchase Hybrids at below MSRP right now with very low interest loans. What will happen to these prices as gas continues to rise?

I think I can figure this out.

Terry (tiger)

Nashville, TN. Gas $ 2.52, 87 Octane

Old 04-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast

I've been tracking prices with my "tanks" for Sant Cruz, CA Costco fuel costs, regular:

Nov 11: 2.39
Dec 14: 2.43
Jan 11: 2.54
Feb 15: 2.80
Mar 9: 2.96
Mar 28: 3.13

That's a pretty fast rise. I won't draw any conclusions, though.

I'm just glad I'm not at 18mpg anymore.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Just filled up at $3.25/gal in Woodland Hills, and that's the cheapest price I could find in town. What used to be consistently the cheapest was $3.31.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast

$3.33 for 87 Octane in Marina del Rey Ca. Saw as high as $3.45 here in Malibu.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 PM

Last thursday $2.49 in Boulder.

Drove to Vegas and back.

Friday in Beaver Utah $2.79

Today in Vegas $2.84

Today western Colorado $2.79

Today back in Boulder $2.44

In Vegas either the drinks were $9 or free, depending.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Makes me wonder if we all will continue to see all the Hybrids just sitting on the dealers lots as they are now if gas continues to go up?

Then it will be interesting to see how members can purchase Hybrids at below MSRP right now with very low interest loans. What will happen to these prices as gas continues to rise?
Apparently this:

If prices continue doing what they're doing in Los Angeles, my next tank will cost an incredible $3.40/gal. With a Prius I'm wishing I had a plug-in, but I can't imagine what people in trucks must be thinking now... I saw 4 Silverados the other day in front of me that must each cost $150-200 now to fill up PER VISIT to the gas station.

Quick Reply: what are gas prices at for you?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands