Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

what are gas prices at for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Plug in to extend battery use?

I don't really want to reply to this message but I've lookled all over these pages and I can't find any way to post a new message.

I have heard that it is possible to buy an aftermarket battery for a Highlander that makes it possible to plug it in the wall at night and get even more time running on battery. I can't find anything about this by googling (but I can't find a POST NEW MESSAGE button on this site either).

Anyone know anything about this?????

bsmorris2@gmail.com

Old 12-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: Plug in to extend battery use?

Originally Posted by Bruce Morris
I don't really want to reply to this message but I've lookled all over these pages and I can't find any way to post a new message.

I have heard that it is possible to buy an aftermarket battery for a Highlander that makes it possible to plug it in the wall at night and get even more time running on battery. I can't find anything about this by googling (but I can't find a POST NEW MESSAGE button on this site either).

Anyone know anything about this?????

bsmorris2@gmail.com
Bruce,
In a thread use the 'Post Reply' button on top right side and in the main forum click on the 'New Thread' button.

Haven't heard about the battery and as described I don't see how it would work, as it's not the replaceable car battery that you drive off of. There is a kit coming out to make it more of a electric car and that does plug in but it voids your warranty as you need to modify the controler/computer.

Last edited by Bob259; 12-09-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: what are gas prices at for you?

Now in the high $2.40's and mid $2.50's with the majority around $2.50.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Bob - thanks for your help. The kit you mention is probably what I heard about. I remember something about needing to swap out for a larger capacity battery or . . . . ?? Can you point me towards more information about the kit?

My wife recently bought a Highlander and it would be nice to be able to plug it in at night. If the kit you mentioned means more time running on battery I need to know more about it. My wife would have a cow about the warranty issue but I still want to know what the deal is.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bruce Morris
Bob - thanks for your help. The kit you mention is probably what I heard about. I remember something about needing to swap out for a larger capacity battery or . . . . ?? Can you point me towards more information about the kit?

My wife recently bought a Highlander and it would be nice to be able to plug it in at night. If the kit you mentioned means more time running on battery I need to know more about it. My wife would have a cow about the warranty issue but I still want to know what the deal is.
Bruce, Do a search on 'plug in electric kit'. I did and found one of the articles, you'll have to look through them to find the one. I'm sure one of the folks on the forum that have looked into this will chime in with more details for you. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...g+electric+kit Most of the articles I've seen showed it as being very costly to convert so it would take you a long time to realize the savings.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gasoline prices in my area peaked a week ago and have been slowly going down since then. The lowest is $2.35.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I thought I might dig out this old thread and revive it. It's interesting to keep track of gas prices- except when posters don't tell us what area they're living in!

Gas prices in the Chicago area are all over the place. I've seen it as low as $2.41 and as high as $2.75 (for the regular unleaded) in the last two days. Most seem to be in the $2.52-$2.59 range.

I filled up at $2.44 yesterday and was surprised this morning that the lowest price around had actually dropped three cents overnight. Signs of better things to come???

Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
I thought I might dig out this old thread and revive it. It's interesting to keep track of gas prices- except when posters don't tell us what area they're living in!

Gas prices in the Chicago area are all over the place. I've seen it as low as $2.41 and as high as $2.75 (for the regular unleaded) in the last two days. Most seem to be in the $2.52-$2.59 range.

I filled up at $2.44 yesterday and was surprised this morning that the lowest price around had actually dropped three cents overnight. Signs of better things to come???

Here in tax heaven (Upstate NY).. regular is running around $2.65 for most of the station, except for the Mobil stations which are avg. $2.75+ for regular. Up about 40 cents over the last three weeks, our low never got below $2.23 per gallon.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

$2.59

Old 03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
World's First Hybrid

Not here in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts. Prices have steadily increased over the past few weeks. Reg unleaded is now 2.52. But, the avg speed here on the highways is still 75+ with fatal crashes occuring every day with more and more frequency. And everyone complains about the price of fuel yet they refuse to slow down a bit.

On a lighter note, I've noticed that I get better FE with Mobil than Shell here in the NE. With temps not getting above 20F for the past week, I've been sitting around 42mpg with mostly short trips.

Quick Reply: what are gas prices at for you?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands