Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   My wifes durango gets 13mpg (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/my-wifes-durango-gets-13mpg-553/)

videian 06-01-2004 03:01 PM

at present my HCH is sitting at 49.5mpg

the HCH does not carry the kids and all the trimmings that go along with them so well...

Toyota Highlander hybrid anyone?

anyone see any figures on what that thing is gonna cost?

xcel 06-01-2004 05:39 PM

Hi Videian:

___Pure speculation but the rumors are saying around 35K. How that comes equipped if available at that price is anyone’s guess?

___Make sure the savings in fuel are worth the hit you will take on the trade in of your Durango is all … $10 - $20K will buy you 65,000 - 130,000 miles of free travel at $2.00 a gallon let alone the $4,000 - $8,000 of fuel you would purchase for the HH to travel that same distance at lets say 30 mpg?

___Lastly, if she is receiving 13 now (an 04 4.7 L 4WD version is rated for 14/18 city/hwy), I bet with a small change in her driving habit’s, 16 - 20 is not outside the realm of possibilities. She will change them in the HH or she will bury that monster’s fuel economy capabilities as well unfortunately :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

videian 06-02-2004 05:35 AM

There is no doubt in my mind that it is her driving habits, getting her to change those....thats a different story.

The main reason to trade up is that she is requesting 7 passenger seating and does not want a minivan. So I figure what the hell eh, might as well get another hybrid, my HCH has fullfilled my needs quite well.

xcel 06-02-2004 06:00 AM

Hi Videain:

___Be careful what you wish for … The Toyota Highlander is rather small SUV in comparison to the Pilot or MDX. The reason we removed the Toyota Previa from service and purchased the Acura MDX 1-1/2 years ago is that 1 of our children graduated from college and is now on her own, the second just graduated from college this year, and the third is just entering 7th grade. My wife wanted something a bit more sporty and we didn’t need a mini-vans room anymore. With that however, there are times when I still wish she would have considered the 04 Sienna or Ody instead. The third row seat leg room in the X is paltry at best. The third row seat room in the Highlander is not even a consideration. The third row leg room in a minivan of whichever make is huge by comparison to either. Make sure your wife really needs a third row in an SUV because the Highlanders third row has leg room only made for those under the age of 6 at best imho …

___And the part about the fuel economy … My wife tanks the MDX to below the EPA city estimates in the winter so I know where you are coming from :angry:

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net