Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   6 weeks on one tank of gas :) (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/6-weeks-one-tank-gas-7383/)

laurie 05-17-2006 11:13 AM

6 weeks on one tank of gas :)

ok, maybe it's cheating. i haven't driven a lot since my knee surgery. but i filled it today, the first time since taking off the snow tires and the weather warming up. i recorded 54MPG with that tank.

on my way to work today (first day back since surgery), the gauge shot right up to 64MPG and stayed in that range all the way in. this could be fun this summer :):):)

GeekGal 05-17-2006 11:47 AM

Re: 6 weeks on one tank of gas :)

Congrats! How's the knee?

I bet you missed the HCH, and it missed you. Enjoy!

laurie 05-17-2006 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Congrats! How's the knee?

I bet you missed the HCH, and it missed you. Enjoy!

the knee is coming along, thanks. it's hard work, but improving every day. and i did miss the HCH. i had to drive our pickup for a while, since it has an automatic. love the height, hate the mileage - about 17. gas really has gone up a lot since i have been driving regularly - OUCH
:omg:

IMAhybrid 05-17-2006 04:55 PM

Keep it up. Glad to hear you're able to drive your HCH again.

I bet if I didn't go home I could go the whole school year (30 weeks) on one tank of gas. But if I didn't go home, I'd probably be better off not having a car at all.

foo monkey 05-17-2006 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by laurie
ok, maybe it's cheating. i haven't driven a lot since my knee surgery. but i filled it today, the first time since taking off the snow tires and the weather warming up. i recorded 54MPG with that tank.

I've got you beat. My car's in the shop, after getting broad-sided by some a-hole running a four-way stop. I last filled it up 4/26 and won't get it back until mid-June.

laurie 05-17-2006 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by foo monkey
I've got you beat. My car's in the shop, after getting broad-sided by some a-hole running a four-way stop. I last filled it up 4/26 and won't get it back until mid-June.

ouch, that hurts. what do you have to drive in the mean time? :cry:

foo monkey 05-23-2006 02:00 PM

ouch, that hurts. what do you have to drive in the mean time? :cry:

2004 Kia Rio, baby! Yeee-haw! It's an automatic, which drives worse than my eight year-old manual Civic. It's got 110 HP, just like my Prius, but takes 15 seconds to get up to 65 MPH. 500lbs lighter, with the same HP measurement, but I need to floor it, if I hit a hill on the highway. The windows roll up and down. By roll, I mean it has an actual roller handle, to move the window. No power door locks or remote entry. Each door has one of those little things you pull up and down. Oh, and it smells like dirt.

laurie 05-23-2006 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by foo monkey
2004 Kia Rio, baby! Yeee-haw! It's an automatic, which drives worse than my eight year-old manual Civic. It's got 110 HP, just like my Prius, but takes 15 seconds to get up to 65 MPH. 500lbs lighter, with the same HP measurement, but I need to floor it, if I hit a hill on the highway. The windows roll up and down. By roll, I mean it has an actual roller handle, to move the window. No power door locks or remote entry. Each door has one of those little things you pull up and down. Oh, and it smells like dirt.

oh yuk, you have my sympathy. my sister bought some flavor of kia brand new, and it was junk then. now it's beyond junk. my 93 civic with 250,000 miles on it looks better than her kia.......

kamsmart 06-26-2006 08:26 AM

oh yuk, you have my sympathy. my sister bought some flavor of kia brand new, and it was junk then. now it's beyond junk. my 93 civic with 250,000 miles on it looks better than her kia.......

I am not sure whether there is bias against the South Korean cars here or what ,, but I am going to go ahead and let you all know that I hada Hyundai Accent (2004)m before buying the Prius. I gave the Accent to my in-laws who are dirving it in CA.

The car was very good. It did not look or smell like junk at all. Yes, but I admit, the acceleration was a little lacking. But hey, for people on this forum, it was more than what they needed. It was certainly not a race car, but it could handle the city roads and higways perfectly well.

We took a road trip from TX to CA to drop the car off at its new owners, and it did pretty well on the trip. We got about 36 mpg on the car, while we pushed it to about 85-90 mph on some stretches on I-10 (West Texas before El-Paso), all with the A/C on. Of course, the road nose is a little louder in that car, and since it is very light, it was swaying a little too much, but it did it.

I am sure the newer cars from Accent are coming out even better. My second car is still a Hyundai Sonata 2006. Oh boy, it is a really nice car. I havent seen the 2006 Accents, but I am sure, they have become much nicer also. I saw a video on C/NET about Hyundai trying to release a hybrid version of Accent as wel .. but its MPG rating is not as good as Prius - of course!

bar10dah 06-27-2006 05:41 PM

Six weeks?! Sheesh! My truck sees a gas station once every two months! ;)