Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Will the cost of plug-in conversions come down soon? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/will-cost-plug-conversions-come-down-soon-16515/)

nicst47 12-28-2007 04:08 PM

Will the cost of plug-in conversions come down soon?

The thought of the option of one day being able to convert my (soon to be) MMH to a plug-in hybrid/electric is exciting.
The cost is very expensive right now. I saw online that one company charges $36,000 to do the conversion.

Billyk 12-28-2007 06:02 PM

Re: Will the cost of plug-in conversions come down soon?

Originally Posted by nicst47 (Post 155714)
The thought of the option of one day being able to convert my (soon to be) MMH to a plug-in hybrid/electric is exciting.
The cost is very expensive right now. I saw online that one company charges $36,000 to do the conversion.

You are not the only one that is watching and waiting. Providing tax credits might speed the process but scaling up to mass production might do even more. Everything is still in the research/testing phase.

Tim K 12-30-2007 07:14 PM

Since I don't think any of the companies that are working on this technology have even done one install for an individual (FEH or MMH anyway) consumer (Hybrids plus, Hymotion, etc)....the answer is no. The early adopters haven't even had their chance to buy these yet. It will be quite some time before production numbers on these things gets to the point where we see costs drop significantly.

gpsman1 12-31-2007 02:45 AM

Hybrids Plus in Boulder, CO has done about a dozen Prius upgrades to plug-in status for private individuals. People just like you and me that wanted an "upgrade" at a premium price. A price no more outrageous than paying $2000 for a nice stereo system. The "plug-in" battery costs 10x more than a normal battery pack, and a "great" stereo costs you 10x more than a normal one. People buy what they want, when they can afford it.
:shade: