Who's modding their hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Jim
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who's modding their hybrids?

Unless one really wants to get into the software I think the only areas available to most people intent on doing mods fall into three areas, assuming that we are talking about mods to increase performance or fuel economy.

The most obvious is the boxy shape of the car. Not much can be done there unless you want to attach a long fiberglass front-end. Some people have removed the roof racks or their crossbars.

Wheels and tires are a second category. Certainly one could replace the factory stuff with skinny lighter-weight versions. That would boost fuel economy but would harm certain types of performance.

Last is weight. I suppose you could remove everything you don't use. This might include the back seats, the spare tire, tools, stereo, the silly cargo floor mat, the passengers, the fog lights, the windshield washer fluid, the "hybrid" logo... There's always that odd stick on the left of the steering column that so many people have never noticed anyway.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jim
There's always that odd stick on the left of the steering column that so many people have never noticed anyway.
Do you mean the flash your high beams road rage thingy

Old 01-30-2006, 11:12 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by Jim
There's always that odd stick on the left of the steering column that so many people have never noticed anyway.
Here in Michigan, that stick on the left of the steering column serves an important purpose: it's where you hang a small bag for holding trash.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Question Re: Who's modding their hybrids?

Hi All,

Just wondering. I see the MPG numbers of the ’05 vs ’06 FEH, and in just about all cases the ’06 is getting better mileage. Does anyone here have the answer as to why this is? As far as I can see they are physically the same but FE numbers are better in the ’06.

I caught the part from Wayne ‘modding the ICE’s profile via ECU flash’ – so just wondering if they did a tweak in the firmware that might be helping out and if this possibly could be transferred (flashed) into an ’05?

God Bless All - Phillip

Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VietVet'67
Hi All,

Just wondering. I see the MPG numbers of the ’05 vs ’06 FEH, and in just about all cases the ’06 is getting better mileage. Does anyone here have the answer as to why this is? As far as I can see they are physically the same but FE numbers are better in the ’06.

I caught the part from Wayne ‘modding the ICE’s profile via ECU flash’ – so just wondering if they did a tweak in the firmware that might be helping out and if this possibly could be transferred (flashed) into an ’05?

God Bless All - Phillip
I asked that very question at my dealer and was told that the programming in the '06 is IDENTICAL to that in the '05. Well, as someone who owns one of each, I can tell you without a doubt that the '06 has a different program. I'm sure someone will argue with me but it is true. Over 10k miles on each and I am averaging better in the '06 by about 10%. Now that I have a good amount of time in each one, I can definitely notice some behavioral differences. They accelerate and drive the same but the '06 does EV better. It also acts differently when descending a long grade in L - the '05 will kick the ICE on and run up to about 4k RPM, the '06 will get up to 2.5-3k RPM.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me but like I said, I have 10k miles or so on each one, 90% of which I did. There is a noticeable difference.

Next time I am at the dealer I will ask the manager to reflash my '05 with the '06 program and see what they say. If the programs are identical like she said, there should be no problem putting the new program in the '05. Should have thought of that last time.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder if it's not the software, but maybe hardware differences... better HV battery maybe? These are differences that probably won't show up on paper - specs are probably identical, but battery technology advances pretty quickly and maybe a change at the manufacturing level has made a difference.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by randykato
I wonder if it's not the software, but maybe hardware differences... better HV battery maybe? These are differences that probably won't show up on paper -
That could be the case as well but I read somewhere that Ford "toned down" the speed the engine revs up to during a regen decel. That sounds like software. If the batteries are better too, that's a bonus.

Either way, tough to complain about 30+ mpg average over 12k miles.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

It's funny, I asked the question about the difference at the FEH experience, and the battery designer said it was the same, programming, batteries, etc. There shouldn't be any difference performance wise, let alone such a large one.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Ray and Rich,

This is the patent on that subject, couldn't post it all but there's
some good reading.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6583599.html

A bleed off threshold (SOC_BLEED_OFF) is established above the charge
off threshold. When battery state-of-charge is above the bleed off
threshold, the bleeding of the battery by operating the
starter/alternator as a motor is permitted. This reduces battery
state-of-charge to allow room in the battery to be able to accept
recaptured kinetic energy through regenerative braking.

The final threshold is. the regenerative braking off threshold
(SOC_REGEN_OFF). The regenerative braking off threshold prevents the
battery from becoming overcharged. Thus, if the state of charge
reaches the regenerative braking off threshold, no regenerative
braking is allowed. Also recall that the charge off threshold is also
set below the regenerative braking threshold so that the battery will
not be charged or try to be charged over the regenerative braking
threshold. Thus, below the regenerative braking threshold,
regenerative braking may take place.

GaryG

Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I got confirmation from Ford that when the 2006 MMH came out ( Identical to the FEH except for cosmetics ) that it came with tweaked ( less sensitive, more mechanical "feel" ) gas pedal response... And a slightly quicker ICE start-up when you are accelerating out of EV mode... ( less lag time ).

If they tweaked the MMH, and since the FEH comes off the same assembly line, it only makes sense that the "improvements" would be in the FEH as well.

Likely, what happed was, the early 2006's came out just like the 2005's, but mid-year, the switch happened, and was so slight, did not warrant any "announcement". ( Fine print says all specs are subject to change without notice )

So, it's true to say some 2006's are the same as 2005's.
It is also most likely to be true that later produced 2006's are 'slightly' better.

I sincerely doubt that any battery changes were made, and I sincerely doubt that FE was improved.

What's more likely is... people with the 2006's have had a year of reading "experienced" driver's posts on GH and others, picking up tips and tricks, and knew more from the get go ( less learning curve ) to get good fuel economy.

Now that I'm a veteran (driver), I can get 42 MPG over the highway, and mid- 50's MPG in the city... all in my early production ( 12/2004 ) '05 FEH.

-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 03-09-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Who's modding their hybrids?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands