Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   When to Replace Tires With Big Road Trip Planned (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/when-replace-tires-big-road-trip-planned-27895/)

tommyball 07-05-2012 02:02 PM

When to Replace Tires With Big Road Trip Planned

Hi-

This is more of a general question I guess, but I have gotten great advice here before so here goes:

With two big road trips planned in the next month (400 mi round trip MD to NJ and 1600 mi one way MD to TX) I'm wondering if I should keep my original tires on or replace them.

I have a 2008 FEH 4x4 with 77000 miles. I have 3 original Continentals (one was replaced with a General Grabber after a flat about 4 months/4000 miles ago). At that time, I thought I was due for new tires soon anyway, based on earlier service visits so figured I'd have to replace the other 3 by the next service appointment. However, the 3 Continentals still have 4/32" on them.

With the summer temps, a loaded car and mismatched tires I'm wondering if I should head for Texas with 3 new tires or not.

Thanks,
T.

spud 07-20-2012 09:46 PM

Re: When to Replace Tires With Big Road Trip Planned

No.

SanAntonio Joe 07-23-2012 08:41 AM

Replace 'em. Your 2008 could have been made as early as August 2007, which makes those tires as much as 5 years old. With the record heat, highway conditions and a fully loaded vehicle, this is NO time to second guess. Just remember the Firestones that were coming apart and killing people, partially due to high summer temps and heavily loaded vehicles. Of course, the tires were crap, but that is another story. My recommendation would be a new set of Michelin LRR tires.

tommyball 09-06-2012 11:20 AM

Thanks for the tips.

I opted for the new tires... then I had a MECS pump failure in South Carolina. :(

-t.