Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   At what temp does "Stop Safely Now" happen? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/what-temp-does-stop-safely-now-happen-27925/)

robbiedoo 07-11-2012 08:11 PM

At what temp does "Stop Safely Now" happen?

So I had another thread where I dealt with how I was receiving the "Stop Safely Now" message and auto shut down. I've replaced the MECS pump and there have been no further problems.

I received my ScanGuage 2 today, and am now monitoring the 'Motor Electronics Coolant Temp' and the 'eCVT Temp'. But am wondering if anyone knows which of these temps (both?) would be affected by the previously bad MECS pump, and at which temperatures they would reach in order to display the 'Stop Safely Now' mesasge and auto shut off the vehicle. Am I even looking at the correct temperatures that would have been affected by my repair?

According to what I read in the sticky, these are 'normal' operating temps for the above...

Motor Electronics Coolant Temp - up to just under 100' Fahrenheit. (Though I've already seen mine over 100' F, we're in a heat wave where I am right now, with outside temps reaching almost 90' F (32' C))
eCVT Temp - up to 145'-ish Fahrenheit (?)

Anyone know if these are right, and at what point these numbers would be 'too hot' and shut down with the 'SSN' message?

econoline 07-11-2012 11:18 PM

Re: At what temp does "Stop Safely Now" happen?

MeT is the one to monitor and it runs about 10°F above outside ambient. When my MECS pump failed I was monitoring MeT but the temperature rose so quickly that the engine shutdown before I observed the rise on the SG. I believe the trigger point was around 150°F. There's a thread here somewhere with that information if you search for it.

gpsman1 07-15-2012 01:24 PM

Re: At what temp does "Stop Safely Now" happen?

the eCVT is attached to the engine so it is normal for this to be a little hotter than the engine.
235 is typical in mine after extensive driving. Totally normal and in spec.

I also see the M/E temp about 10 deg higher than ambient.

I've had my electric generator temperature up to 280 degs when towing.
Again, within spec.