Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Strange noise from b-pillar (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/strange-noise-b-pillar-18549/)

Brianva 06-10-2008 07:51 AM

Strange noise from b-pillar

I have an 05 awd and anytime I hit a bump or rough road I get a fairly heavy metallic knock which sounds like it's coming from the driver's side b-pillar. I've pulled the door panels and can't find anything loose. Seat belt tensioner seems fine as well. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Thanks

Brianva 06-21-2008 07:19 AM

Re: Strange noise from b-pillar

Noise is not coming from the b-pillar nor the rear door - I removed the panels and verified. It seems to be from the back/rear quarter. Sound like fairly heavy metal part is loose. The noise is very noticeable over rough road - a banging/knocking sound. Dealer has been of little help. Anyone experience anything similar?

Billyk 06-21-2008 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brianva (Post 177573)
Noise is not coming from the b-pillar nor the rear door - I removed the panels and verified. It seems to be from the back/rear quarter. Sound like fairly heavy metal part is loose. The noise is very noticeable over rough road - a banging/knocking sound. Dealer has been of little help. Anyone experience anything similar?

First, pull the cargo carpet out of the cargo area and look at the hybrid battery case for loose bolts/nuts. Second, Pull your cargo panels. There is a jack on the passenger side that could be rattling. There is the air-conditioning/heating unit on the driver side. There is the air vent to the hybrid battery on the driver side and you need to check the operation of this and the hybrid battery filter and vent door for sloppiness. After this, you are left with the rear cargo door panel. Good luck.

Brianva 06-21-2008 02:05 PM

Thanks. I pulled out the carpet and cargo panels. Everything seems ok including rear door. Noise is very hard to pinpoint. It may be coming from the underside, but I don't see anything suspicious so far.