Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Regenerative Braking Question (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/regenerative-braking-question-9633/)

cbmamherst 08-30-2006 03:03 PM

Regenerative Braking Question

I have the hybrid energy/audio/navigation system in my brand new 2007 Hybrid and it appears to use regenerative braking when applying the brakes. What I have not been able to figure out is when is there a cross over to using the disc brakes. I am guessing this happens when speeds drop below some point and regenerative braking doesn't work as well or when braking hard but I haven't found anything that really describes this. Is there a good technical description somewhere?

Pravus Prime 08-30-2006 03:15 PM

Re: Regenerative Braking Question

Originally Posted by FEH FAQ
9. Why is it after it rains, my brakes get all grabby?

Short answer, because you're not using them. Most of your deceleration, outside of stepping hard on the brakes isn't actually braking, it's the regeneration system taking your motion and turning it back into energy to use, which means that your wet brakes don't get a chance to friction dry when you apply light braking pressure (like in a conventional vehicle), which means your brakes are still wet when they are used when stopping. Wet brakes grab hard, hence the grabbyness.

You don't use the conventional friction brakes unless your slam on the brakes, or when you're actually coming to a full stop. (IE, at very low speeds) If you'd like a more definitive and technical description, you can refer to the TSB's.

jdenenberg 08-30-2006 03:20 PM

Real brakes:

1- below 7 mph
2- panic stop
3- Car in neutral (no regeneration possible)

JeffD

gpsman1 08-30-2006 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
Real brakes:

1- below 7 mph
2- panic stop
3- Car in neutral (no regeneration possible)

JeffD

Add:

4- when the HV battery pack is full
5- when the HV battery is too hot
6- when the HV battery is too cold

And it's not just one or the other. Many times you get a mix of mild regen and mild friction braking at the same time. Regenerative braking is very powerful. Put a large book on a seat. If the book does not slide off when braking, you are not using pads!