Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Question about FEH Sirius Radio (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/question-about-feh-sirius-radio-17327/)

Sascol 03-07-2008 06:59 AM

Question about FEH Sirius Radio

I hope this question is appropriate to ask here....it's not a question about the hybrid in particular but about one of the FEH features...

In the Ford Escape, the Sirius radio factory default is to display the channel name and the channel category..."Big 80's - Pop" for example. There is a button on the dash titled "text" that I can hit that then changes the display so that the Artist and the Song displays. When I change the channel however, the display resets and goes back to the channel and the category.

IS THERE A WAY TO SET THE DISPLAY TO ARTIST/SONG AS THE DEFAULT?

Thanks in advance!

mtberman 03-07-2008 07:49 AM

Re: Question about FEH Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by Sascol (Post 164039)
I hope this question is appropriate to ask here....it's not a question about the hybrid in particular but about one of the FEH features...

In the Ford Escape, the Sirius radio factory default is to display the channel name and the channel category..."Big 80's - Pop" for example. There is a button on the dash titled "text" that I can hit that then changes the display so that the Artist and the Song displays. When I change the channel however, the display resets and goes back to the channel and the category.

IS THERE A WAY TO SET THE DISPLAY TO ARTIST/SONG AS THE DEFAULT?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, no. When the receiver acquires the signal, it automatically displays the station name. If you enter a tunnel and lose signal, when you emerge on the other side it will go back to the station name when it re-acquires the signal.

KenE 03-07-2008 10:00 AM

And my wife complains about this all the time, having to press the 'Text' button again. Our 6-month trial period expires in late April. We comtemplated the lifetime renewal, which is several hundred $$$, but ultimately chose not to. That special price has expired.

How many people enjoy SIRIUS enough to continue the subscription? Am I in the minority not renewing? Since we don't travel in the car long distances, it's not worth it to us. Since we mostly commute in the car locally, the local stations for news, weather, traffic are more important than commercial free music/sports/talk shows.

Like many of life's decisions, I may later regret not subscribing to the lifetime update:confused:

kristian 03-07-2008 10:43 AM

I don't think I have this problem. I spend 95% of the time in the hybrid screen, but every time I hit media, I get the artist and song title--regardless if I have gone through a tunnel, or if my wife has changed the station.

Do you have the Nav unit?

Luke1975 03-07-2008 10:54 AM

Once I hit the text button 4 months ago, I have never used it again. It stays on the song title and artist name. Not sure why yours would go back each time.
I signed up to extend my subscription for one year and really like it, I probably should go ahead and do lifetime subscription.

08FEH 03-07-2008 11:22 AM

We did the lifetime just before it expired. There is one time $75.00 fee if you want to switch the lifetime subscription to another unit (portable) or another factory radio. The subscritopin also includes lifetime internet radio. Sirius and XM Radio are merging in the very near future, they are claiming all lifetime and yearly rates will be honored. We are very happy with the selection of channels and it's very easy to get use to no commercials....

08FEH

Sascol 03-07-2008 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Luke1975 (Post 164071)
Once I hit the text button 4 months ago, I have never used it again. It stays on the song title and artist name. Not sure why yours would go back each time.
I signed up to extend my subscription for one year and really like it, I probably should go ahead and do lifetime subscription.

You're kidding?? That's odd. I wish I could do this as well. I have to hit 'text' all of the time.

Sascol 03-07-2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by KenE (Post 164063)
How many people enjoy SIRIUS enough to continue the subscription? Am I in the minority not renewing? Since we don't travel in the car long distances, it's not worth it to us. Since we mostly commute in the car locally, the local stations for news, weather, traffic are more important than commercial free music/sports/talk shows.

I had Sirius before we bought the FEH (a plug and play unit that I use in the car as well as on my desk at work). I love it and have not listened to 'regular' radio in almost 3 years. My sub ends in June and at that time I will sign up for another two years which gives me three months free.

mtberman 03-07-2008 12:11 PM

Big Ditto. I LOVE satellite radio and think it's good value if you are a music and/or news fan. I would pay $10 per month just for the BBC World service alone.

I can hardly remember most of the radio stations I used to listen to. I'm pretty much on Sirius 99% of the time.

Side note: If you have nav, the display is different and this is not the same problem.

Luke1975 03-07-2008 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mtberman (Post 164081)

Side note: If you have nav, the display is different and this is not the same problem.

I DO have the NAV package if that is the difference.

KenE 03-08-2008 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by kristian (Post 164069)
I don't think I have this problem. I spend 95% of the time in the hybrid screen, but every time I hit media, I get the artist and song title--regardless if I have gone through a tunnel, or if my wife has changed the station.

Do you have the Nav unit?

Kristian -> No, I don't have the NAV unit, and after reading the other posts, that does seem to make a difference:confused:

It was interesting to read why people have decided to continue their subscriptions. Absence of commercials seems to be high on the list.

I don't have any major concerns with the SIRIUS and XM merger, honoring the agreements, but I'm still a bit of a skeptic, and will probably wait to see how all that pans out. Happy listening to all.

08hybridok 03-08-2008 10:17 AM

I do not have the NAV and have to hit Text every time, it's annoying, but donesn't bother me that much now, since I also don't have steering wheel controls I have to actually reach over to the radio anyway ;)

I did decided to call Sirius and convert to a lifetime and got the $100 off, so it was like $3 or $400 can't remember now. I told myself when I got it, there would be now way I'd pay for radio, I only drive 15min each way to/from work (so does the wife), but in 2 months I did it!

I'm thinking of getting a cheap head unit for my 65 Falcon with HD tuner it it now, supposed to have some sub stations that like Sirius are commercial free, and I have found a couple units for about $100, just need to figure out how to get an IR remote to work through a steel glovebox! But for now I just run the kid's mp3 players through a cheap headphone line amp to the existing speakers.

Slick 03-10-2008 12:48 PM

[quote=08hybridok;164159] just need to figure out how to get an IR remote to work through a steel glovebox! quote]

PAC makes a IR repeater type unit that should work for this, I'd have to check the part number to be sure....you'd put the eye in the dash and sending unit in the glovebox...head unit would have no idea it was in a steel glovebox....or use a wired remote unit from someone like Clarion...I use them in hotrods...stick the HU whever you want (hidden, no HU fits in with an older car's dash) and use the wired remote for all functions...I like the Clarions (look at the marine wired remotes) as they come with a polished aluminum trim ring...looks great in an older cars dash or console.

Terry S 10-08-2009 07:40 AM

I would really like to know if anyone has an answer to the original posters question.

So this is interesting. My husband and I both have the exact same 2009 Escape. I hit the text button the first time and now mine defaults to Artist and Song and his does not. Everytime he chagnes the station or turns the car off, we have to hit the text button again. There must be some setting that can be changed but I haven't been able to find it. Neither of us have Nav.

Slick 10-08-2009 07:45 AM

Mine does the same as you husbands, text only works until I turn the channel or turn the car off...I can't find the setting either...if anyone knows how to keep it on text I'd also like to know :)

Sascol 10-08-2009 07:49 AM

Original poster here! I have yet to figure it out. There's hope for me yet if one of Terry S's radios works like we'd like it to.

RayP 10-10-2009 04:27 PM

Mine stays in text mode all the time. My wife's acted like yours but I tinkered with it a little and now it's in text all the time as well. I hate to surmise what I did but I think it goes to a temporary mode on first pressing text, then if you push it again it goes back to station mode, then text again and maybe it is permanent? That's what I did on my wife's and now it's always in text mode. But you may need to experiment...

RayP

robingf 10-12-2009 03:49 PM

A bit of a 'side question', if I may : We have two hybrids now....my '08 FEH, plus my wife's new Fusion hybrid. Her Fusion cam with Sirius radio, which we love. Both vehicles have NAV. Is there an economical way to add Sirius to my '08, which didn't come with that option ? I sure wouldn't look forward to replacing the entire Nav unit just to get that. Hoping there's a reasonably-priced 'add-on' option ?

Cheers,
Gary

Sascol 10-13-2009 04:47 AM

Yes. You can install any plug and play unit Sirius offers. I have had one of these in my other vehicle for many years. You also have the option to take it out of the car and use it at home or at work. All you need to do is install the unit (very easy to do) and an antenna which if you take your time to do and do it correctly can be done in a very inconspicuous manner.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1066857398016

Brooke 10-13-2009 07:50 AM

In response to the "side question:" you can actually buy the OEM satellite receiver that Ford uses, it's made by Visteon (if i remember correctly). I bought a 2008 MMH with NAV but no satellite. I contacted a local Visteon installer who works on the factory head units for the local dealers. They installed an OEM unit, which can be operated from the touch screen on the NAV display just like a factory installed unit. I don't know whrere they actually instaled the receiver- no where that I can see. The antenna is not in the roof "bubble" but is back behind the roof rack and is not noticeable. It's pricey-- about $400 installed -- but looks and operates like OEM, and you don't have to replace the head unit/NAV.

fehy06 10-13-2009 09:09 PM

I have an 06 FEH that has the SAT button on the radio, but does not have the Sirius radio kit installed. Is the Ford dealer my only option to get the kit, and can I install it myself, does it come with adequate instructions? How long does the initial subscription last that comes with the kit?

I have Sirius radio at home and love it.

-Dave

Brooke 10-14-2009 07:28 AM

Don't know all your other options for the 2006. I searched on the web until I found that Visteon made the Ford satellite receiver for my NAV/head unit, then went to the Visteon web site and found a local dealer-installer. Never saw the instructions, etc., because I bought the unit installed. I've installed Pioneer head units/ satellite receivers in another car (Miata) & the hardest part was taking the trim off to run the antenna wires, and getting the dash surround off.

There was a trial subscription of few months included with the unit.

bobbylaw 10-14-2009 07:45 PM

slightly off topic but because I love the Sirius so much (first experience with it), I bought a bunch of the stock (which is currently in the doghouse)...

robingf 10-15-2009 04:02 AM

I've also looked into that. Any chance you have any of the detailed item info that your local Visteon installed used ?? I'm in a rural area, so would need to take as much info as possible when I visit either my dealer or the Visteon folks.

I've also looked into the new 'MIRGE' add-on directly from Sirius, which works with both the Sirius as well as the XM content/satellites. Very intriguiging...cost of about $180 including car kit, external rooftop antenna, etc. It would have to connect in through the AUX input that I also use with my iPod Touch, but the real problem might be in finding suitable 'dash space' to mount it, to be honest. I also don't like having a power adapter using up the power outlet, so if I go that way, I'd have to permanently wire it in place.

Thanks everyone......Gary

Brooke 10-15-2009 09:28 AM

Never had any of the info that presumably came with the receiver, as I didn't deal directly with Visteon. Once I had figured out the Visteon part I needed and where to get it, I called a couple of local installers who do the aftermarket repairs for the Ford dealers (got their names from the Visteon web site), and one of them knew exactly what I was asking for and took care of it without problem. I never involved the Ford dealer at all. I should have ordered it when I bought the car, but my initial satellite experience had been with Delphi aftermarket add-ons, and I was not impressed with the sound or signal quality until my wife bought a Saab with factory satellite-- there was a huge difference, and then I wanted one for the MMH.

fehy06 10-19-2009 07:36 PM

I contacted one of the internet Visteon distributors, and was quoted $329 for the Sirius kit. I also visited the Sirius website and they sell the SiriusConnect Universal Vehicle Tuner for $49.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=2482698&scId=24750

My guess is that it is equivalent to the kit sold by Visteon, but maybe the cabling is not compatible. I have an email to Sirius to find out. I have not contacted Ford yet to find out the price of the kit directly from them.

-Dave

Brooke 10-20-2009 07:28 AM

I'm not an expert on this by any means. I would just make sure that the Sirius Connect unit is compatible with the factory head unit (as you are doing). The price for the Visteon receiver is about what I paid, if I remember correctly. For the extra bucks, I got OEM interface appearance on the NAV touchscreen. Was it worth it? Hard to say: for me, yes. If you can get the same thing for 50 bucks on the non-NAV headunit, go for it.