Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Problem with brakes on 2005 FEH (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/problem-brakes-2005-feh-8367/)

SAM Hybrid 07-06-2006 02:51 PM

Problem with brakes on 2005 FEH

Have noticed on hills that the vehicle starts to vibrate with heavy braking. Went to dealership that serviced vehicle to find out problem. Indicated that rear rotors could not be turned as down to min, so will need to replace. The front rotors could be turned, but might not solve the problem.

Have only had the pads replaced on the vehicle around 10k due to noise. Does anyone have the part numbers for the rotors (front/rear)? Our Taurus did the same thing around the same mileage.

Looks like by having TSB 05-13-8 done on my Hybrid, the rear rotors can not be turned again.

TeeSter 07-06-2006 06:44 PM

Re: Problem with brakes on 2005 FEH

These days they make rotors very thin to begin with. You usually can only turn them once on most vehicles, if at all.

Kermie 07-07-2006 07:41 PM

The brake systems on come vehicles, including Escape, Focus, '03-'06 Expiditions, and others, wear the rotors out almost as bad as it wears pads. This results in the rotor getting too thin. You can tell by the big "lip" it leaves around the edge of the rotor. It's either due to the pads being too hard or the rotors being too soft. Motorcraft pads are supposed to be better than the factory pads to help minimize this condition.

TeeSter 07-08-2006 08:14 AM

One of the reasons new brakes wear out the rotors faster is that the government banned asbestos in the brake shoe linings years ago. The new material is metal impregnated... and its hard on the rotors and wears them faster.

They also cast the brake rotors to a much finer spec than they used to. In the old days they put extra rotor material on there because the rotors were designed to be turned BEFORE they were installed on the car or turned when on the car (taking away some of the rotor material) This was because the casting process wasn't accurate enough. These days the manufacturer no longer recommends turning new rotors when installing them because they are "true" from the factory (or at least close enough that a couple of applications of the brakes will true them up). Thats what I've been told by my father who works for Ford.