Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Poor Paint Job (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/poor-paint-job-14551/)

KyGreen 07-21-2007 05:40 AM

Poor Paint Job

I've only had my '08 FEH a little over a month and have noticed how poor the paint job is in some spots.

For instance, the paint on the inside of the rear hatch has a pretty good size run of clear down one side. Also, on the inside outer edge of the hatch where the metal changes angles - paint is actually missing where you can see the exposed metal.

I also have a very rusty bolt that was used to fasten the rear hatch hinge to the body. One side is rusty and the other OK.

I had to get a bottle of touch-up paint to paint the 4 places on the inside of the rear hatch and the rusty bolt! :angry:

I love Ford products, but sometimes I don't think they "get it" in regards to product quality. Why would they let it through quality control?

Anyone else have similar issues?

simpleman 07-21-2007 10:02 AM

Re: Poor Paint Job

The lack of paint around rear hatch hinges is a common problem. It has been discussed online before (here?) and I noticed the same issue on every '07 Escape I inspected, both hybrid and conventional. I live near the coast and haven't detected any rust yet. It seems the hinge area got the metal coating and/or primer, just not final color.

When I picked up my '07 FEH, the driver rear door had several raised splotches about the size of a fingerprint right in the middle of the door. These were underneath the factory paint in my opinion, and the dealership agreed. I noticed the defect a few minutes after signing all the papers and had them switch doors with another dune pearl escape on the lot.

Billyk 07-21-2007 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by KyGreen (Post 134984)
:angry:

I love Ford products, but sometimes I don't think they "get it" in regards to product quality. Why would they let it through quality control?

Anyone else have similar issues?

My 2005 Escape Hybrid was built in April 2005 and I purchased it new in June 2007. I have not noticed any paint flaws, rusty bolts or other "build quality" issues--yet.;)

KyGreen 07-22-2007 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by simpleman (Post 135008)
The lack of paint around rear hatch hinges is a common problem. It has been discussed online before (here?) and I noticed the same issue on every '07 Escape I inspected, both hybrid and conventional. I live near the coast and haven't detected any rust yet. It seems the hinge area got the metal coating and/or primer, just not final color.

Yes - mine also has the lack of paint problem on the hinges, but that wasn't what I was referring to. I'm talking about the inside of the liftgate itself. If you look up after opening it and where the outer skin is rolled back (on the edges), I have several places where the paint appears to have come off or been peeled off - like is was masked there and when the tape was remove it took paint with it. It is very obvious that it shouldn't be that way.

I took touch-up paint and "filled-in" the places where paint was removed. It looks OK now - it just should not have passed inspection IMO.

jmorton10 07-22-2007 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by KyGreen (Post 135096)
I have several places where the paint appears to have come off or been peeled off - like is was masked there and when the tape was remove it took paint with it. It is very obvious that it shouldn't be that way.

That sounds like it was damaged & repaired before you got it.

A dealer should diclose that info it that's the case, but I can tell you from working at various dealers over the years that they rarely give a customer that info..........

~John

Jerry&Natalie 07-22-2007 09:56 AM

^^^ I agree.

Our FEH has perfect paint. I have purchased a few Mustangs in the past and was aware of Ford paint defects. I inspected it very closely before signing the papers.

WaltPA 07-23-2007 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by KyGreen (Post 135096)
It looks OK now - it just should not have passed inspection IMO.

Hay, Mustangs with seats of different color and "fabrics" go unnoticed, and shipped.

If the quality inspector doesn't notice the driver's seat and the passenger's seats are two different colors/fabrics, then I doubt they notice anything more subtle.