Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   out of gas? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/out-gas-15937/)

grnhybrid 11-13-2007 08:23 AM

out of gas?

does any know what happens if the FEH runs out of gas? Can you still run on EV for a short period (ie until you get to a station) or does the system shut down all together? :confused:

TeeSter 11-13-2007 09:02 AM

Re: out of gas?

Originally Posted by grnhybrid (Post 149582)
does any know what happens if the FEH runs out of gas? Can you still run on EV for a short period (ie until you get to a station) or does the system shut down all together? :confused:

Its in another thread here somewhere.... you can run in a "limp home mode" but you'll only get a mile or two before your battery is dry.

Billyk 11-13-2007 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by grnhybrid (Post 149582)

If I remember correctly, Gary G. did just this. Something like 22mph for 2 miles and then it slows down like a top until it is dead. There is a post from him on this.

GaryG 11-13-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk (Post 149648)
If I remember correctly, Gary G. did just this. Something like 22mph for 2 miles and then it slows down like a top until it is dead. There is a post from him on this.

There are a number of posters that have ran out of gas, but none of their experiences were the same. I ran out on I-95 while I was in EV (ICE wouldn't start back up) and only knew it because I was getting past the 40mph limit in EV. I backed off the speed to under 40mph and got off at the next ramp. Made it to a Best Buy parking lot where I was headed anyway and parked in a space. No warning lights or anything that has been reported by others. I tried to restart and it ran for a second and died just like a regular car. I added a gallon of gas and it started again. The HV battery had went below the minimum limits and the battery would not take a fake shift in "L" in addition to MG1 that was charging heavily.

This is how I calculated there was 1.3 gallons left in the tank at 0 MTE. If I remember, I had gone 56 miles past 0 MTE that day before running out of gas. Based on my today average of ~43mpg, I came up with 1.3 gallons. After that post, many others have reported and confirmed 1.3 gallons left after 0 MTE (Miles To Empty).

gpsman1 11-13-2007 04:49 PM

My experience agrees with the 1.3 gallon measurement.

I am the one who's car let me travel at 22 MPH ( with foot to the floor ) in EV mode when I ran out of gas. Then, the car's power ran down like a top to nothing... 15 MPH, 10 MPH, 5 MPH, stop. About 2 miles total.

#1 the car must be started and running normally first. ( you cannot drive away after a key off with no gas.)

#2 there are more than a dozen different "limp home" modes.

#3 So there may be more than a dozen behaviors.

-John

grnhybrid 11-14-2007 06:58 AM

good info, thanks all.
fyi: When I filled up last it held 13.5 gals. The display reads 13mi until empty.

gpsman1 11-14-2007 07:24 AM

Sounds exactly right!
:D