Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Moon the Roof (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/moon-roof-14230/)

trussmonkey666 06-29-2007 06:35 PM

Moon the Roof

So my girl is up in arms cause she's seen the huge escape moon roof and will not rest and wants to get sawzall happy. Anyone had this done afterwards factory or after market.

Always were safety glasses

jmorton10 06-29-2007 07:09 PM

Re: Moon the Roof

I'm not a big fan of adding moonroofs although I work in a car dealer & have had it done for customers numerous times (& we have an installer that makes them look factory installed).

I see used cars all the time where an aftermarket MR was added & a few years later the roof starts to rust around the edges where the hole was cut in the roof.

~John

gpsman1 06-30-2007 01:01 PM

Yeah, doesn't the factory paint get "baked" on or something before all the interior stuff is installed, making the factory paint very durable and rust resistant, but that "baked on" quality is nearly impossible to replicate after a modification???

TeeSter 06-30-2007 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 132066)
Yeah, doesn't the factory paint get "baked" on or something before all the interior stuff is installed, making the factory paint very durable and rust resistant, but that "baked on" quality is nearly impossible to replicate after a modification???

They usually bake paint thats put on aftermarket too if they can, however the people cutting open a roof to put in a sunroof probably don't bother to seal the edges or anything... and thats the main reason for the rust... leave an open edge of metal uncoated and its going to rust even if its under the "seal" some water will probaly get there.

jginaz 07-01-2007 04:49 PM

I had it done. It looks factory. I'm real happy with it. I can only wish we had some rain here (Phx) so I could tell you if it rusted.

JG