Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Loss of Power in Left Turn (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/loss-power-left-turn-29211/)

stevedebi 10-29-2013 12:54 PM

Loss of Power in Left Turn

I've had a very intermittent problem with my 2008 AWD. It shows up maybe a couple times a year. I will be in the process of making a left turn, and I have the wheel turned left, and am accelerating into the turn. All of a sudden I lose the power steering, acceleration, and braking power. I can't seem to steer (the vehicle continues at the last wheel position), and the vehicle slows. I realize the FEH has electric steering, so it can't be this, but it feels as if a traditional power steering pump failed - but also affects the other systems.

It clears up after I take my foot off the accelerator, but in most instances I've had to make a wider turn before I regain control of the steering (it takes a couple of seconds to recover). It never happens at speed, only through the turn, and so far only left turns.

This situation comes up when I need to accelerate through the turn to clear a traffic light changing or oncoming traffic, which raises the pucker factor considerably.

Any ideas?

84GT Ragtop 10-29-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Loss of Power in Left Turn

I'd recommend having a Ford dealer pull codes from all modules as a first step, then go from there. I'd never heard of this problem before so searched some things just in case we ever experience this problem. Some threads listed checking for a blown EPAS fuse, but no mention of which one it is, so check labeling in the fuse box to verify.

Post #19 on this thread showed a loose ground as the problem.
http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/sho...-Failure/page2

Post # 7 on this thread showed the power steering harness and computer module as the problem.
http://www.carproblemzoo.com/ford/es...d-problems.php

There isn't much else definitive online about actually resolving the issue, but it sounds from all the sites and complaints that it's not an uncommon problem. Sure would be nice if people would update their threads with results!

wbonville 11-04-2013 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi (Post 250084)
I've had a very intermittent problem with my 2008 AWD. It shows up maybe a couple times a year. I will be in the process of making a left turn, and I have the wheel turned left, and am accelerating into the turn. All of a sudden I lose the power steering, acceleration, and braking power. I can't seem to steer (the vehicle continues at the last wheel position), and the vehicle slows. I realize the FEH has electric steering, so it can't be this, but it feels as if a traditional power steering pump failed - but also affects the other systems.

It clears up after I take my foot off the accelerator, but in most instances I've had to make a wider turn before I regain control of the steering (it takes a couple of seconds to recover). It never happens at speed, only through the turn, and so far only left turns.

This situation comes up when I need to accelerate through the turn to clear a traffic light changing or oncoming traffic, which raises the pucker factor considerably.

Any ideas?

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Making a left hand turn and lose all power and my steering wheel is basically locked. Scared the living s**t out of me the first time it happened as I was trying to make a left after waiting 10 minutes.

stevedebi 11-04-2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by wbonville (Post 250130)
I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Making a left hand turn and lose all power and my steering wheel is basically locked. Scared the living s**t out of me the first time it happened as I was trying to make a left after waiting 10 minutes.

I'm due for an oil change soon and will mention it. I have noticed in the past that the scanguage loses power, which makes me suspect a ground. Actually, after recovering, I noticed that the scanguage was starting up - I didn't actually see it dead. I was too busy trying to steer and brake.

GatorJ 11-04-2013 05:20 PM

This will certainly put a damper on racing your FEH in a NASCAR event.

stevedebi 11-05-2013 08:39 AM

Ignoring irrelevant replies, I should also mention that it has only happened when the engine was hot. In one case the car would have been kicking into the engine mode, in the last instance I was turning while slowing, and was in EV mode.

But the engine was warmed up in both cases.

stevedebi 11-18-2013 02:49 PM

Just heard back from the dealer. They found no trouble codes, but are replacing the Power Steering control module in the steering wheel. Paid for under my extended warranty.

wptski 11-18-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi (Post 250262)
Just heard back from the dealer. They found no trouble codes, but are replacing the Power Steering control module in the steering wheel. Paid for under my extended warranty.

That very odd as the Ford Service Manual states that no components of the EPAS system can replaced. They "supposedly" replace the whole steering column and all unless they have changed their minds about this.

GaryG 11-18-2013 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by wptski (Post 250263)
That very odd as the Ford Service Manual states that no components of the EPAS system can replaced. They "supposedly" replace the whole steering column and all unless they have changed their minds about this.

No Bill, it's not odd, when Ford has to pay for it the rules change. Ford says the HV battery cannot be repaired either, but if it's on their tab, they fix it. Ford plays these games all the time. Forget what the workshop manual says, Ford changes the rules when they pay for it. If you must pay for it, Ford changes their mind!

Gary

wptski 11-19-2013 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 250264)
No Bill, it's not odd, when Ford has to pay for it the rules change. Ford says the HV battery cannot be repaired either, but if it's on their tab, they fix it. Ford plays these games all the time. Forget what the workshop manual says, Ford changes the rules when they pay for it. If you must pay for it, Ford changes their mind!

Gary

That HV battery pack vs cooling fans is exactly what I had in mind also.