Intermittent steering column rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Intermittent steering column rattle

DIY is rife with risks and rewards. I didn't do the work but it appears via the videos that after screws are out, you pry the boot off. Maybe someone siliconed yours on? With your second point, beating up on the shaft using the recommended vice grip method to remove it didn't set off the airbag or damage the collapsing system as far as I know. The driver's airbag did not explode but I cannot quantity or qualify the true risks. You can rent out through FORD their online service manual to view and print off the official method (and info on other procedures). You can pay by the term. I think once I did it for 24 hours only, the cheapest plan. Good luck out there and stay safe!

Old 09-23-2024, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Intermittent steering column rattle

Originally Posted by Hippo the Hybrid
DIY is rife with risks and rewards. I didn't do the work but it appears via the videos that after screws are out, you pry the boot off. Maybe someone siliconed yours on? With your second point, beating up on the shaft using the recommended vice grip method to remove it didn't set off the airbag or damage the collapsing system as far as I know. The driver's airbag did not explode but I cannot quantity or qualify the true risks. You can rent out through FORD their online service manual to view and print off the official method (and info on other procedures). You can pay by the term. I think once I did it for 24 hours only, the cheapest plan. Good luck out there and stay safe!
According to the Ford Service Manual, the official solution is to replace the entire steering column. I will not be doing that, for obvious reasons.