Intermittent steering column rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Intermittent steering column rattle

Occasionally, when driving, I get a fairly significant rattle from what sounds like the steering column, or at least near the pedals or in that area. It's very intermittent, but also very predictable - it occurs at around ~76 mph, when driving over ruts in the interstate left by trucks with failed tires, or when driving on certain types of bumpy road. Not all bumpy roads cause it; it's sensitive to corduroy or something similar. I've had a lot of suspension parts replaced, but might have missed something deeper in. I'm worried that it's steering column related, which would be an expensive and intensive fix. Unfortunately, I live in a remote area and don't have a trustworthy mechanic nearby, so I'd like to diagnose the issue myself and see if I can fix it before it gets worse.

The symptoms are pretty much the same as this post on an unrelated forum; the eventual issue there was the tires (I do have pretty crummy tires, so that might be related.)

There's not much play in the steering, and the suspension handles fairly normally if I jounce the car around. It's only this weird oscillation at certain speeds that pops up.

Vehicle is a 2010 AWD FEH.

Any tips on how to diagnose this, or similar experiences? I could take the car to a mechanic, but I'd probably have to drive an hour or so to get to a decent one.

Old 08-24-2024, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Intermittent steering column rattle

Since yours is an AWD, tire rotation is a mandatory service procedure.
I suggest you put the rear tire on the front and see if this changes the bad vibes.
Inspect each tire tread area as you swap them. Move the left side tires back to front, then move the right side.
Let us know what results.
Would be great if it's just tire-reflated, eh!

Old 08-24-2024, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2009-ESCAPE 330V
Since yours is an AWD, tire rotation is a mandatory service procedure.
I suggest you put the rear tire on the front and see if this changes the bad vibes.
Inspect each tire tread area as you swap them. Move the left side tires back to front, then move the right side.
Let us know what results.
Would be great if it's just tire-reflated, eh!
I did rotate the tires at my last oil change, a few thousand miles ago. The issue existed before then, however.

Old 08-24-2024, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

Next time it happens, check to see if it’s the parking brake release lever. Mine sits pretty loose, and rattles every once in a while. If it got persistent, I would dive in and see how to get rid of some of the play around the rod leading back to the firewall, but it’s surprisingly rare, given how much slop there is. A quick tap on it has shut mine up each time

Old 08-31-2024, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

Don't think it's the parking brake lever. After shaking bits and pieces of the cars around, I've narrowed it to the steering system. There's a little bit of slop in the column. The issue occurs before the rack; I'm about 80% sure it's the steering U-Joint that connects the steering column & wheel to the steering rack/steering gear assembly, as I can see visible slop in this and holding it with channel locks dampens the sound. Going to see if I can tighten down on bolts in this part; if that doesn't fix it, I'll replace it. I believe the replacement should be fairly straightforward, but nothing on a car this old ever is

Old 09-12-2024, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

In our 2010, the lower steering column U- joint towards the steering rack had to be replaced. It's accessed through the floor by the pedals and also from the LF wheel well since there are apparently two bolts to take it off. This is a very common issue with Ford Escapes of this vintage. It's not limited to hybrids and is a result of normal wear and tear over the years. The part is not that expensive and it's relatively easy to replace for the mechanic, especially if they have done it before. Use a Ford OE part since many aftermarket parts may not fit well or even not at all leading to delays and more time and expense. I would get the work done since it is a potential safety issue if it's been rattling for years. After two new front sway bar links (common wear and tear) and a right outer ball joint (common wear and tear), the front end is totally quiet and tight. The updated brake pedal feel sensor is working well too but as a 2010 with about 250,000 km, it's not if but when the next issue pops up.

Old 09-12-2024, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tightening the bolts is unlikely to fix the problem. The U joint is worn out. Should be straight forward unless you live in the rust belt.

Old 09-12-2024, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't update this post, but it is the steering U-Joint. I'm going to wait until I have a good clear weekend to do the work as I still need the car to get the work (no trustworthy mechanics anywhere nearby, unfortunately; I've got to do it myself)

Old 09-14-2024, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are at least one or more Youtube videos on this repair. Highly recommend before you open up the patient.

Old 09-14-2024, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hippo the Hybrid
There are at least one or more Youtube videos on this repair. Highly recommend before you open up the patient.
Yep, I've seen the videos. It seems straightforward enough, except for two problems:
1. I can't seem to be able to remove the rubber boot as in the videos. It's very securely glued in. Of course, I can give it the gorilla yank, but I have a feeling that this one is different and such an operation might be destructive. On the newer models, is this screwed in differently? I removed the three screws on mine but they didn't seem to make a difference.
2. The repair videos involve hammering the shaft back up into the steering column to get it out of the way. Now, I know the column is collapsible and should be able to accommodate this movement, but are there significant odds of damaging something in the process? I'm especially worried about the airbag module at the top of the column going off from impact.

Quick Reply: Intermittent steering column rattle

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands