Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   I got about the worst FE you can get today... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/i-got-about-worst-fe-you-can-get-today-8747/)

Tim K 07-23-2006 07:57 PM

I got about the worst FE you can get today...

I think I got the worst FE possible with today's driving. I had to drive a couple of clients around the city looking at property today. We drove 22 miles in total, never more than 2 miles at a time and always about 20 minutes between trips. Did I mention it was 90 degrees out?

When we got in the MMH I had just gotten gas and had 2 miles on the trip odo and an average mpg around 34. When we were done there was 24mi on the trip ODO and my MPG was down to 20.0.

I might have to hit the reset button to get rid of this one!

KermitCar 07-23-2006 08:41 PM

Re: I got about the worst FE you can get today...

wow, the lowest mine has ever been is in the 24 range. I know that it is tempting to reset and start all over, but I get more satisfaction getting it back up to where it was when I started. mine has been lower than normal, I started the day at 26.9 mpg and after an hour, I was up to 34 mpg. hopefully, tomorrow, I can get her back up to the 36 she is normaly at.

gpsman1 07-24-2006 12:10 AM

It went down in a hurry since you had so few miles in your average.

The good news is, it can be up to the mid 30's just as quick.

No biggie. You have to do daily tasks as they come once in a while.
:shade:

Originally Posted by Tim K
I think I got the worst FE possible with today's driving. I had to drive a couple of clients around the city looking at property today. We drove 22 miles in total, never more than 2 miles at a time and always about 20 minutes between trips. Did I mention it was 90 degrees out?

When we got in the MMH I had just gotten gas and had 2 miles on the trip odo and an average mpg around 34. When we were done there was 24mi on the trip ODO and my MPG was down to 20.0.

I might have to hit the reset button to get rid of this one!

Pravus Prime 07-25-2006 02:25 PM

Or take a nice long drive out somewhere and back.

TeeSter 07-25-2006 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Or take a nice long drive out somewhere and back.

Burning gas to "save" gas.... ;)

Of course... I wish I could say I've never done that... but.....I can't... :D

ranaes 07-25-2006 05:58 PM

Hey, one thought. How much time did you spend in Max Air on your airconditioner. I know, we've been having 90+ weather here too. For me (a person that LOVES 80 deg weather) driving without airconditioning at stops is not a problem, but you need to have a well conditioned car when others get in. The air can really eat up gas, and this may have caused a drop for you. Chalk it up to a bad day. You'll recoup the benefits in the future.

Hint-- one way I found to get away with using just A/C and not Max A/C (which costs gas at stops) in my short Hybrid life, is by recirculating interior air. If you already cooled it, it will be cooler coming out of the vents without A/C exposure.

newgreenie 08-01-2006 06:18 PM

I've given up on FE and MPG. We've had 102F temps with heat index of 114F. No way to go anywhere in that car without max ac. I went from Richmond to Va Beach..stuck in traffic both ways and used nearly a full tank of gas. Normally, I dont use a tank a month. I was sick over it but what can you do? When you are sitting stuck on the interstate in over 100F temps, you cant sit there on regular ac or you'll liquify. I just decided to pay no attention to my MPG until this heat wave stops unless you guys have a better idea.