Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Hydraulic Control Unit (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/hydraulic-control-unit-28949/)

mwills 07-09-2013 01:20 PM

Hydraulic Control Unit

My 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid has been giving me problems with the brakes for the last 3 months, the dealer has finally figured out its the Hydraulic Control Unit and the part alone is $4700.00:angry: Does anyone know if there is any recalls or where I can get the part for cheaper?

Billyk24 07-09-2013 05:33 PM

Re: Hydraulic Control Unit

Before spending any money, please provide more details on your issues with the brakes. I have read of owners at another forum being told this when the real fix was something else.

motherearthdancer 07-09-2013 08:35 PM

I'm having this exact issue. Ford says they cannot help me because no longer under warranty, according to Service Manager.

Billyk24 07-10-2013 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by motherearthdancer (Post 248902)
I'm having this exact issue. Ford says they cannot help me because no longer under warranty, according to Service Manager.

NOT TRUE. Please tell us about your symptoms during a defined time frame.

stevedebi 07-10-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk24 (Post 248909)
NOT TRUE. Please tell us about your symptoms during a defined time frame.

The car is a 2005, I would not expect it to be under warranty. Even the longest ESP would have expired.

EDIT: Sorry, I see now that you were responding to someone who had not given their model year. Sorry.

Billyk24 07-10-2013 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by motherearthdancer (Post 248902)

they cannot help me----the dealership can help at a cost. My question remains what abnormal symptoms has he experienced? Without this information, this forum (peanut gallery) can not help either.

mwills 07-16-2013 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk24 (Post 248897)
Before spending any money, please provide more details on your issues with the brakes. I have read of owners at another forum being told this when the real fix was something else.

The brake light would come on when stopping sometimes and it would say service brakes, but the brakes seemed to be working normally, then it would go off when you shut the vehicle off. Once and a while the wrench light would come on and it would say service regen system. Then one day I started it and the brake light and the ABS light came on and the brakes were barely working and making a grinding noise.

Billyk24 07-17-2013 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by mwills (Post 249006)
The brake light would come on when stopping sometimes and it would say service brakes, but the brakes seemed to be working normally, then it would go off when you shut the vehicle off. Once and a while the wrench light would come on and it would say service regen system. Then one day I started it and the brake light and the ABS light came on and the brakes were barely working and making a grinding noise.

A couple of simple things to check:
First: See if you can pull a code via a code reader. If you don't have a code reader, some auto part stores will do this for free.

Second: a cracked ABS tone ring may cause the brake light on the dash to light up. Check this out.

Third: a weak 12V battery can cause brake issues and other issues including a loss of regenerative braking and poor braking performance. Get this looked at.