Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   HV battery display with NAV (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/hv-battery-display-nav-7247/)

ltc 05-09-2006 04:57 PM

HV battery display with NAV

Does anyone know how much 'green' is normal for a fully charged HV battery on the NAV display?

It looks like my battery is fully charged when the green is right below the + and - terminals on the battery display....it never goes above those.

Thanks!

TeeSter 05-09-2006 08:04 PM

Re: HV battery display with NAV

I think from what I've read thats about right and its about where mine sits. Charging a battery completely and discharging it completely shortens its life. Therefore the hybrid system keeps the charge on ours between something like 50-70%. I think if the little battery gets to the top you are at about 70% and the system will stop trying to charge the battery. If its at the bottom its at 50% and the system will start the engine to make sure it stays about 50% (even if stopped). in the middle is good.

Thats probably oversimplfied but from what I've read here and my experience thats how it seems to behave.

GeekGal 05-09-2006 09:38 PM

From my experience, that's about the highest level the battery State of Charge (SoC) icon shows. Like TeeSter stated, the high voltage battery pack is actually never fully discharged or fully charged, so the amount of green/bar in the battery icon is all relative, anyway.

VietVet'67 05-10-2006 06:27 AM

Hi Lewis –

I don’t think GaryG will mind me placing a quote for his thread ‘Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid’ from the ‘CleanMPG’ site.

“The maximum you can drain the FEH battery in normal driving is to the 40% level. The maximum the battery will charge with the ICE/generator is just below 60%, this leaves regenerative braking to bring the level up to a full 60% level. Any charging above 60% will be used to force the generator to burn off energy by turning up the ICE RPM’s”

Your statement/question “It looks like my battery is fully charged when the green is right below the + and - terminals on the battery display....it never goes above those,” is right on. I have almost 20K on my AWD FEH and the battery level meter reaches what I guess is that 60% limit, which is right below the + & - signs on the icon and that is the highest it has ever gone - though it will go all the way to the bottom at the 40% level. Kind of weird, I think, to have it only show ‘That Upper Limit' but drop all the way to zero when at the 40% level. Seems, at least to me, they should have let it go all the way to the top for a full 60% charged battery.