Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Full Size Spare on FEH (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/full-size-spare-feh-6848/)

TeeSter 06-12-2006 07:09 PM

Re: Full Size Spare on FEH

You should have better luck with the service people on the tire sensors.. its not a hybrid only thing. Its on most of the new light trucks and SUV's.

TeeSter 06-13-2006 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Here's a question to further complicate things -- how do the Tire Pressure Sensors (TPS) know what is an unsafe tire pressure for the tire? Are they just programmed to freak out at <24 lbs or some other (semi-arbitrary) psi, regardless of what tires are on the vehicle, or do they get calibrated when the tires are put on to 'know' what an unsafe pressure is for that particular tire? In other words, if someone got a different tire altogether, would the TPS still work and how accurate would they actually be?

Makes me want to have the shop manual(s)... assuming that sort of thing is mentioned in them.

Incidentally.... it doesn't matter what tires are on the car as far as the manufacturer is concerned, because its realted to the weight of the vehicle over a particular axle. The number on the door frame is the number you are supposed to use. In our case thats 35lbs front and back (unusual but its because our vehicles weight about the same at both ends).

So in our case the number is 35lbs minus the set trigger point which I think is about 6lbs (its in the manual...just don't have it in front of me). Also its not meant for accurate control. Just a trigger to help prevent things like what happend with the Explorers.

GaryG 06-13-2006 04:01 PM

Called the dealership and ask if my tire and rim had came in. Both were there, so it took less than 8 days to get the Eco Plus verse 10 days days it took before. The rim did not have a '06 low air pressure sensor, but the parts man said they are green and look like a short valve stem inside the rim.

Tomarrow I made an appointment with Goodyear to rotate and balance the exsisting tires, putting the worst tire as a spare. The new tire and rim will get mounted, balanced and road hazard protection (10% of the price of the tire). I'll have them put it on the front with the other back tire that was replaced 6 months ago. My FEH has about 23,000 miles on it now, and I think I can get about 20,000 more on the originals. I am starting to get road noise from the left front tire now, so it's going to be my spare.

The donut has about 500 miles on it, so it will most likely rot in my garage till I sell the FEH.

There is no question now that the Eco Plus tires are still availabe through your Ford Dealer! Now I have a little more peace of mind.

GaryG

gpsman1 06-13-2006 09:45 PM

Many people, myself included think the EcoPlus are 80,000 mile + tires.

Why do you think yours will be done at 40,000 to 45,000?

Mine have 21,000 miles and are almost as good as new based on tread depth.

Gary, would you measure the tread depth of your newest tire and report in?

Thanks.

GaryG 06-13-2006 11:36 PM

Florida roads have a lot of shell rock which wear the tires faster, that maybe the problem. When I lived in CA, I had a motorcycle wreck and slid 60 feet along the road. The road rash was bad, but had it been in FL, I think I would have needed skin grafts.

Since I'm adding road hazard protection to the new tire, I'm sure I can get Goodyear to gage all my tires so I can report the findings here. It also maybe possible to get the wear depth when I first damaged the first tire they pro-rated.

The reason I stated I could get 20,000 more miles, is because the new tire looked like it had twice the tread depth as the other three. Also, if any of you have taken a high speed U Turn with xcel like I have, I found roll over is not a problem with the FEH. After that experience, I'm not afraid to take a hard corner faster to keep up speed.

The tire noise is a big factor also. As the tire wears down on a SUV, the noise is a big reason I just go ahead and get new ones before the tread wears out. The tire noise is starting to get bad already in the front at 23,000 miles.

GaryG

Brianva 06-14-2006 03:18 AM

Gary, good luck with yours. My tire and rim came in Monday. Dealer could not get it to balance. He verified that the rim was ok and determined that it was a bad tire. Looks like another week for a replacement.

GaryG 06-14-2006 10:09 AM

My new tire and rim was fine Brian. Just took the FEH on a 40 mile RT and she road great.

Here are the tread depths Goodyear took from my first visit till today.

FEH Purchase date 2/12/05

First rotation and balance 6/25/05. Tread depths recorded - LF 11/32, RF 11/32, RR 10/32, and LR 10/32 at 7,343 miles. Note, the two rear tires had been on the front.

Second visit with one tire with sidewall damage 11/18/05. Waited till new Eco Plus tire arrived and replaced on 11/30/05 at 14,801 miles. No tread depth given for bad tire, new tire was 12/32.

Today's visit tread depths recorded with 24,006 miles, LF (new) 12/32, RF (Damaged replacement tire at 14,801 with new tire 12/32) 11/32. Note this tire has been on the right rear since new and has 9,205 miles on it. RR 7/32 (from the RF), LR 9/32 (stayed on LR), LF 7/32 replaced donut as spare.

Had the FEH aligned on my first visit (7,343 miles) and adjustments were made. The two front tires showed 6/32 on the inside of the tires. They checked the alignment today and said it was fine. The manager said that most of the Escape's and Mazda's for some reason, wear on the inside like that. I think it was BS, but have any of you had this problem?

GaryG

GeekGal 06-14-2006 10:58 AM

GaryG,

Thanks for all the info., especially regarding tread depths. I know we were trying to informally compare those awhile back here and on the FEH Yahoo group.

Am I reading your posts wrong, or do you have all your tire-related work done by Goodyear rather than Ford service dept.? I know you ordered the tire and rim through Ford, but it sounds like all your service (rotations, repairs, balancing) is done by Goodyear?

If I'm not misreading you, is there any particular reason you're doing it that way -- I take it there's an available extra coverage on all tires purchased through Goodyear (similar to the free repairs and rotations I think we get/got through SAMS Club on my '92 Corolla)? And probably a faster turnaround compared to slogging through the Ford service department? Just curious. I'm still well over 2,500 miles from my first tire rotation, but have a favorite tire shop locally that I'd be tempted to use if there are compelling reasons to do so vs. the dealership.

GaryG 06-14-2006 12:11 PM

Hi Shannon

The only reason I take my FEH to Goodyear is because they charge 10% of the cost of the tire for road hazard on new vehicles. When I checked with my Ford Dealership, they either didn't offer road hazard or the cost was almost as much as the tire. Goodyear knows the problem with getting the Eco Plus and yet gave me road hazard on this new tire. They also had on file the air pressure I want (44psi) in all my tires and the tread readings/mileage when I came in. They also offer free roadside assistance 24 hours a day with their road hazard protection.

When my first tire got damaged, Goodyear notified me that Continenal would not sell the Eco Plus tire to them, so they went through the Ford Dealership. This is how we all learned here on GH and Yahoo about how to replace the Eco Plus. That Continenal phone number I posted in this tread, should be written down on your owner manual for you to give to your dealership if you want the Eco Plus tires for replacement. It's been hard for some dealerships to get any info on them, so they just tell you the tire was discontinued.

GaryG

rihavo 06-15-2006 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Called the dealership and ask if my tire and rim had came in. Both were there, so it took less than 8 days to get the Eco Plus verse 10 days days it took before. The rim did not have a '06 low air pressure sensor, but the parts man said they are green and look like a short valve stem inside the rim.

Tomarrow I made an appointment with Goodyear to rotate and balance the exsisting tires, putting the worst tire as a spare. The new tire and rim will get mounted, balanced and road hazard protection (10% of the price of the tire). I'll have them put it on the front with the other back tire that was replaced 6 months ago. My FEH has about 23,000 miles on it now, and I think I can get about 20,000 more on the originals. I am starting to get road noise from the left front tire now, so it's going to be my spare.

The donut has about 500 miles on it, so it will most likely rot in my garage till I sell the FEH.

There is no question now that the Eco Plus tires are still availabe through your Ford Dealer! Now I have a little more peace of mind.

GaryG

Gary,
I took my FEH to Merchants Tire and Auto for an oil change. While there, I had them check to see if they could get the EcoPlus tires. They pulled a couple different Continental Tires off the rack and revealed the EcoPlus "stamp". Just another avenue for getting tires. They also stated the stock tires are rated at between 40,000 and 50,000 miles. I currently have over 26,000 miles.

Rich