Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Ford dealer and MECS pump replacement (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/ford-dealer-mecs-pump-replacement-28199/)

eldiee 10-10-2012 07:13 PM

Ford dealer and MECS pump replacement

Last week my wife complained that her FEH had a wrench light and service engine soon light. Since it had just turned 80,000 miles and no replacement of the electric system cooling pump I thought I would check the pump by listening to it. It sounded like a bucket full of rats scratching in a steel bucket. I guessed that the pump was going out and called local dealer who said they couldn't work on the "Hybrid"without running diagnostics on it. So, $170 later they called and said the MECS pump is failing. Then they said since it was a "Hybrid" it would take more time and the cost for pump replacement was $860 and they might be able to get it done the next day. I can see why Ford will not be big in Hybrids with dealers who want to take advantage of customers who have little knowledge about their vehicle. I told the service rep not to touch the Escape and that I would pick it up and fix it for far less. I took it to an independent auto service garage and got the pump replaced for a total of $353. If I were a little younger I would have done it myself. If toyota would make a 4X4 SUV hybrid that wasn't so expensive ($40-50000) I would have got a Toyota and forget Ford. Oh, the Ford dealer wanted $365 for the pump alone. Needless to say they left a bad taste in my mouth.

guyver76 10-11-2012 03:41 AM

Re: Ford dealer and MECS pump replacement

I am waiting for Toyota to make the Rav4 hybrid it's not like it won't sell.

travelover 10-11-2012 06:44 AM

All I can say is that dealers will screw you if they can and with a hybrid, we are more vulnerable. They have the special diagnostic and re-flashing tools but we can help each other on this and other hybrid forums to avoid getting ripped off.

eldiee 10-17-2012 06:05 PM

To add more to my original post, we got the wrench again yesterday with a message to service engine soon. So took it to local auto repair shop and put on snap -on diagnostic device and no codes. The wrench symbol disappears after you turn off the ignition. I am know thinking that I paid 170 dollars and they did not even hook up or get any code at the Ford dealer last week. I thought it was due to my electronic cooling pump going bad which I had replaced. My local auto repair service said to stop when the wrench is lite up and he would check for codes. Whatever is causing this intermittent wrench light has not had any effect on the Escapes drive-ability as we still are around our average of 29.5 to 30.5 mpg.

stevedebi 10-18-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by eldiee (Post 245100)
To add more to my original post, we got the wrench again yesterday with a message to service engine soon. So took it to local auto repair shop and put on snap -on diagnostic device and no codes. The wrench symbol disappears after you turn off the ignition. I am know thinking that I paid 170 dollars and they did not even hook up or get any code at the Ford dealer last week. I thought it was due to my electronic cooling pump going bad which I had replaced. My local auto repair service said to stop when the wrench is lite up and he would check for codes. Whatever is causing this intermittent wrench light has not had any effect on the Escapes drive-ability as we still are around our average of 29.5 to 30.5 mpg.

That sounds like the blend door issue. It throws a wrench light but doesn't leave a normal code. However, the Ford dealer can run a special program to find the problem.

econoline 10-18-2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi (Post 245113)
That sounds like the blend door issue. It throws a wrench light but doesn't leave a normal code. However, the Ford dealer can run a special program to find the problem.

IIRC the Scan Gauge can also detect the blend door fault. I can't remember the details now but my SG did display a fault, but I think a special command was required to display it. Details should be posted here somewhere.

us035976 10-18-2012 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 245116)
IIRC the Scan Gauge can also detect the blend door fault. I can't remember the details now but my SG did display a fault, but I think a special command was required to display it. Details should be posted here somewhere.

I found the Scangauge info for doing this at: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/archi...p/t-21291.html

84GT Ragtop 10-29-2012 03:57 PM

To correct an earlier post, the A/C Blend Door Actuator does throw a DTC when going bad.
B1239 = traction battery blend door actuator

It's the MECS pump that won't throw a code, since there's technically no code to throw on it (there is a relay code that can trip for it though). Many generic code readers won't find these make-specific codes though, so your local Pepboys scanner might not see anything even though the DTC is indeed present.

BTW, the MECS pump is extremely easy to buy and replace yourself. PM me if you'd like a document that describes the procedure. I copied it off another thead and/or site awhile back.

johnc938 08-30-2023 10:54 AM

Hi eldiee. Do you mind sharing the outcome to this problem?

Originally Posted by eldiee (Post 245100)