Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   FEH Navigation (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/feh-navigation-8469/)

Iwannasave$$$ 07-11-2006 06:57 AM

FEH Navigation

Does the FEH navigation offer the user tha ability to find POI ( ATM's, fast food, hospitals, etc)?

garyvale 07-11-2006 07:01 AM

Re: FEH Navigation

Yes, but not on the fly. Like most NAV units, you have to stop the car to enter/find POI's unless you do the POI modification discussed in this forum.
Gary V

VietVet'67 07-11-2006 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by garyvale
Yes, but not on the fly. Like most NAV units, you have to stop the car to enter/find POI's unless you do the POI modification discussed in this forum.
Gary V

WaltPA 07-25-2006 07:42 AM

Does the Nav system offer a way to update its maps and POI database? Can it read off a data CD in the CD player?

WScottCross 07-25-2006 12:10 PM

AFAIK, it REQUIRES a CD in the drive to operate. That would mean that you simply need a new set to update the POI and map data. Don't know what that would cost though.

salsbr 07-25-2006 01:13 PM

Yes, it requires a cd in the in-dash unit to operate. That is where all the map information is stored, on the cd. I don't know the cost either, but to update I understand you need to buy an entire set of cds (~10 for the US).

TeeSter 07-25-2006 01:18 PM

According to NAVTEQ (who makes the CD's) its $199 for a new set. The 2005 set is the newest which was the one that came with the '06 model line. If you have an '05 you can get an update.

jmorton10 07-26-2006 02:26 PM

The FEH factory NAV unit is an outdated slug of a unit. I agree the Hybrid display is pretty cool, but it doesn't really do anything & you can install a FAR better NAV/GPS unit yourself.

I installed an Eclipse 5435 in dash NAV/DVD/MP3 etc unit in my 05 FEH & it is an absolutely awesome unit & looks factory installed. The Eclipse has a beautiful 6.5" screen, plays DVD movies, plays MP3 disc's, has a high powered AMP section for sound & will work with a backup camera. There is absolutely no comparison whatever between a unit like this & that factory NAV setup & it cost me less than $1000.

~John