Don't understand.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Don't understand.

You don't have to shift to N in order to prevent regen. If you keep slight pressure on the gas pedal in EV, it will idle - no regen and no electric drive, at least in the '08.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by livvie
You are asking for trouble if you are shifting to L while moving. I think the manual recommends only shifing to L from a stop. L locks one of the 2 ratios in place, where as D & S don't.

No. Fly by wire. It's in the FAQ. It's been discussed by the engineers that designed the system. Please don't tell FEH owners that it's dangerous or harmful because it's not.

The gear shift doesn't do anything other then send a request to the system. If it's reasonable, it will do it, if it's not, it will ignore it. You can freak people out by shifting into R on the expressway, which it will ignore because it's an unreasonable request until the vehicle stops or slows significantly down, then being in R is a reasonable request and will back up. (Not that I'm telling you all to do this, just that you could.)

The only difference between D and L is software, no physical differences. It's perfectly safe to do so in the FEH.

Gary, an interesting observation about people without the Nav not being so MPG obsessed, I've noticed that talking to certain other owners who also didn't go with the Nav system, while other Nav owners are nearly as ferverent as we are, but the "sample" size is so small (4 owners) that it wasn't something that I could really conclude.

To those who attended the FEH event in Dearborn, you'll probably recall this. We were able to take a ride in a test FEH, which had a laptop set up so they could monitor everything that's going on. While many aspects of the displays and information were amazing, one thing that really struck me was how little we really do use the brakes, and how much of that is purely regen working away.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 04-11-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
No. Fly by wire. It's in the FAQ. It's been discussed by the engineers that designed the system. Please don't tell FEH owners that it's dangerous or harmful because it's not.

The gear shift doesn't do anything other then send a request to the system. If it's reasonable, it will do it, if it's not, it will ignore it. You can freak people out by shifting into R on the expressway, which it will ignore because it's an unreasonable request until the vehicle stops or slows significantly down, then being in R is a reasonable request and will back up. (Not that I'm telling you all to do this, just that you could.)

The only difference between D and L is software, no physical differences. It's perfectly safe to do so in the FEH.

Gary, and interesting observation about people without the Nav not being so MPG obsessed, I've noticed that talking to certain other owners who also didn't go with the Nav system, while other Nav owners are nearly as ferverent as we are.

To those who attended the FEH event in Dearborn, you'll probably recall this. We were able to take a ride in a test FEH, which had a laptop set up so they could monitor everything that's going on. While many aspects of the displays and information were amazing, one thing that really struck me was how little we really do use the brakes, and how much of that is purely regen working away.

I didn't realize I was in FEH board (i use the new post feature which ignores boards), my comments should be reserved for HCH only.

In the HCH, it's also fly by wire but you don't want to force the car to locking one of the CVT ratios, doing so will probably harm the transmission. To be clear... there is D, S, and L on the HCH. Switching between all 3 is just software configurations. I have to check this, but I don't think I can move to L without having to press the button down. Where as I can switch between D and S freely.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by livvie
I didn't realize I was in FEH board (i use the new post feature which ignores boards), my comments should be reserved for HCH only.

In the HCH, it's also fly by wire but you don't want to force the car to locking one of the CVT ratios, doing so will probably harm the transmission. To be clear... there is D, S, and L on the HCH. Switching between all 3 is just software configurations. I have to check this, but I don't think I can move to L without having to press the button down. Where as I can switch between D and S freely.

Once again, the only difference (From the mouth of the engineers who designed the transmission, shifter, and the software engineer) between D and L in the FEH is that L has automatic light breaking. It's really a breaking gear similar to the Prius, Ford just didn't change the manufacturing process to have a little B instead of an L.

Hence, we can shift between the two as much as we want, and the only difference is that the software in L applies regen braking automatically. Everything else is exactly the same between D and L. Gear ratios included.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I agree on both points below. Without the instrumentation, I'd probably be a happy camper with the 32-34 MPG I was getting the first month of ownership, before I started paying close attention to everything. I owned a small sedan prior with a 4 banger that only got me 25 MPG. Now getting 40+ MPG in an SUV is really awesome.

Dittos on the braking observation.
If you put a large book on the seat, and apply the brakes, you are not using friction pads if the book does not slide off the seat.
-John

An interesting observation about people without the Nav not being so MPG obsessed, I've noticed that talking to certain other owners who also didn't go with the Nav system, while other Nav owners are nearly as ferverent as we are, but the "sample" size is so small (4 owners) that it wasn't something that I could really conclude.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 AM

Once again, the only difference (From the mouth of the engineers who designed the transmission, shifter, and the software engineer) between D and L in the FEH is that L has automatic light breaking. It's really a breaking gear similar to the Prius, Ford just didn't change the manufacturing process to have a little B instead of an L.

Hence, we can shift between the two as much as we want, and the only difference is that the software in L applies regen braking automatically. Everything else is exactly the same between D and L. Gear ratios included.

Once again what? You already said what the FEH does. I'm stating what the HCH does.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Actually in D I find it deflects pretty signficiantly for a split second when I lift my food... then quickly levels off to near zero.
Yea, I noticed that, but assumed it was "unintended", and quite brief, regen and was due to the lag of the system reacting to me unexpectedly, and sharply, releasing the gas pedal.

Last edited by WaltPA; 04-12-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Yea, I noticed that, but assumed it was "unintended", and quite brief, regen and was due to the lag of the system reacting to me unexpectedly, and sharply, releasing the gas pedal.
The test just reported in the Injector shut off thread proved there is enough regen in "D" to maintain enough current to increase run-up or engine braking which will cause a fuel-cut. If fuel is cut, the ICE will need enough regen current to at least support up to or above idle RPMs.

Like I've posted in the past, I got a 38% longer coast to a stop in neutral from 40mph than I did in "D". Sure, some of the 38% was due to drag in the gear set, but I think most of the 38% drag was regen. There is a surge in regen when you sharply release the gas pedal in "D", but there is still steady regen afterwards IMO.

GaryG