Don't understand.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Don't understand.

Not true. You can regen in both D and L. In L you just increase the amount of regen.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I thought that was the difference between "D" and "L"?

In "D", you coast when you release the gas pedal. In "L", you regen'ed when you released the gas pedal. Basically, "L" uses regen to simulate the back torque of an engine with a regular transmission that is in a low gear.

If you are in "D", and want to regen, you press lightly on the brake pedal.
Walt, you must not have the navi because you do get regen in "D" without pressing on the brake pedal in both ICE-ON and EV when you let off the accelerator. For some reason you don't see any regen arrows below ~27mph when you let off the gas pedal in EV, but I think there is a small amount of regen still going on. THIS IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT INCREASING YOUR MILEAGE! I choose to shift to "N" for this very reason to eliminate regen for a better glide. What's impressive about the FEH/MMH is that the disengagement of the drive wheels allows the small generator to still charge the battery in neutral. It's seen on the navi energy screen with both the arrow and the battery level increasing. Stan says his TCH will not charge in neutral and I've heard the THH doesn't either. This allows great ICE-ON P&G even above 40mph and you charge the battery for EV at the same time. The ICE will stop charging with the generator in passive neutral which is below 6mph, but you don't want the ICE-ON at that speed anyway for FE.

The NAVI may not have the best GPS system, but it has the only battery level and energy flow screen available. Many of you understand what I'm talking about above that have the navi, but it seem many are having a hard time understanding that don't have the navi. If I bought a new '08 FEH/MMH today, I'd pay the extra $ again for the navi. Those that choose to remove the navi for a better GPS must not care about FE and I'm beginning to see that in their post. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but most of us bought the FEH/MMH for FE and having a decent SUV to boot.

GaryG

Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Isn't "simulating" the "feel" of engine compression braking purely a waste of energy unless it is my intention to coast down to a lower speed or to stop?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Isn't "simulating" the "feel" of engine compression braking purely a waste of energy unless it is my intention to coast down to a lower speed or to stop?
I don't think so. The simulation is due to regen, so some energy is being recovered. Compare that to a conventional vehicle, and it's just the opposite of "a waste of energy."

In conventional vehicles letting completely off the accelerator pedal does signal an intention to decelerate. To maintain 'coasting' speed (as if in neutral), a slight bit of accelerator is necessary to negate engine braking. The FEH behaves the same, though it's achieved through different means.

I believe the simulated engine braking was included not just to make the FEH feel familiar to any driver, but also for safety. The deceleration of letting completely off the accelerator pedal is something that every driver takes for granted (such deceleration would probably be classified by most drivers as 'coasting'), and if it weren't there, I'm sure there would be lots of people getting rear-ended. True coasting compared to engine braking feels almost like a surge of acceleration.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Good post Randy.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AntoineWG
And shifting into L will increase regen. I try to use that in place of brakes if I can.
You are asking for trouble if you are shifting to L while moving. I think the manual recommends only shifing to L from a stop. L locks one of the 2 ratios in place, where as D & S don't.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

We are talking about the Ford Escape. So maybe you can delete your recent post, and I can delete this one?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by AntoineWG
And shifting into L will increase regen. I try to use that in place of brakes if I can.

I try to do that also, but everyone needs to remember if there are cars behind you this procedure will NOT light your brake lights to warn the driver behind you that you are slowing down.........

~John

Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Walt, you must not have the navi because you do get regen in "D" without pressing on the brake pedal in both ICE-ON and EV when you let off the accelerator. For some reason you don't see any regen arrows below ~27mph when you let off the gas pedal in EV, but I think there is a small amount of regen still going on. THIS IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT INCREASING YOUR MILEAGE!
While I have the Nav system, I don't keep it on the Hybrid screens all the time (if I did, I tend to stare at them, instead of the road ahead). I actually go by the battery ammeter gauge. The needle doesn't show much, if any, movement when I release the gas pedal in "D", but quote a noticeable movement when in "L".

In my "real world" driving, I never need to coast, unless I plan on plowing thru the red light up head. I just, instead, press lightly on the brake and allow regen to slow me down. With good timing, I hit 0 mph just as my front tires touch the stop line, or my front bumper is just inches from the car already stopped at the red light.

Of course, that pisses off all the people behind me. When want to get to the red light as fast as possible.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
While I have the Nav system, I don't keep it on the Hybrid screens all the time (if I did, I tend to stare at them, instead of the road ahead). I actually go by the battery ammeter gauge. The needle doesn't show much, if any, movement when I release the gas pedal in "D", but quote a noticeable movement when in "L".
Actually in D I find it deflects pretty signficiantly for a split second when I lift my food... then quickly levels off to near zero. So there is still some regen in D, maybe not on the coasting itself but a bit just as you lift your foot.

Quick Reply: Don't understand.

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands