Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Brake Failure (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/brake-failure-17855/)

gpsman1 05-08-2008 09:31 AM

Re: Brake Failure

Buck- that is for sure unrelated to Annie's case. It may not even apply to 2008? Not sure.

A sudden stop likely shook loose a wire or a pin in a wire harness ( there's only 5000! ) and freaked out the car's computer.

I agree, it shouldn't happen, but with so many cars, and the complexity of the cars these days, it is not totally unexpected, and this occurs in every single make and model, and cars in every price range.

Look at NASA and the Space Shuttle. That has a 1 in 50 failure rate!

Mark E Smith 05-08-2008 09:57 AM

Here are the meanings for the codes you listed;

P0562 Vehicle Traveling for 10 seconds with the key off ( you caused this)

P0685 Power Control Module power relay control ( you may have caused this)

U0418 Invalid data from Brake System Control Module (may have gotten confused)

U2023 Fault received from external node (abs module) {another may have gotten confused}

C1524 Brake pedal travel sensor calibration incomplete (you may have caused this)

I have found that when the warning lights come on there are usually SEVERAL codes that really dont have anything to do with the failure. When my PCM died @ 4000 mi it had 7 or 9 codes with only one that was correct.

annied 05-08-2008 10:56 AM

Thanks for the explanation on the codes. I still have no clue what all that means. I can turn a car on, refill the wiper fluid and I am a pretty good driver but when it comes to ANYTHING that happens to actually make the thing move, I am totally lost. I refuse to believe that I caused this. A car just doesn't stall like that for no reason. And the power loss came first.
My brakes were 95 percent gone. I pushed hard on the brake pedal to finally got it to stop somewhat. The brakes on the FEH are different than lets say my truck anyways, kinda squishy feeling. But there was a VERY big difference after the power loss. I still have not heard from the mechanic today, we'll see what they have to say. Seemed to me, they were totally lost.
Thanks again.

Mark E Smith 05-08-2008 11:30 AM

Sorry I didnt mean that you caused everything. Your failure is most likely in the U0418 or U2023 these are communication faults (talk between the computers) and can be from a failure of a electronic component or a sudden glitch when you engaged the ABS system. I have set similar codes disconnecting test equipment from these FEHs. The real test is did any of the codes repeat after they were cleared. And they my have to go out and engage the ABS system again to see if they can duplicate the problem.

Mark E Smith 05-08-2008 11:41 AM

And the power loss came first
Reread your OP you may have experienced a relay failure associated with the P0685 code. This relay is what powers up most of the electronics. It may have a loose connection or dirty contacts or could just be failing. What I hope is the problem will duplicate for the Ford dealer, as it is a WHOLE lot easier to find a weird problem when it will manifest itself. Most electronic parts have a very high failure rate in the first few hours of running after that they almost never fail. My PCM (computer) went at early mileage, they call it burn in period. after that the only issue is my rear glass hatch wont open, which I HAD an appointment to get fixed that I forgot about today. ;-( Dambit

annied 05-08-2008 08:12 PM

It sounds like it could make sense BUT I don't think the ABS ever kicked in when I had to brake, maybe it feels different in the FEH but I KNOW when the ABS kicks in in my truck... AND I stopped three more times and turned the engine off before the power loss. There was probably a 30 minute period in between stops and I didn't go very far at all to the next one.
I am getting a little aggravated with the shop, because they still have not looked at it. I will go in tomorrow in person and speak with them and let them know what you guys said, maybe it will help them figure it out. I don't know what they do if people don't have a 2nd car....

annied 05-08-2008 08:13 PM

Sorry, what is an OP? (again total car idiot...)

MyPart 05-09-2008 05:50 AM

OP = Original Post (your original message)

gpsman1 05-09-2008 05:58 AM

Annie- If the car is under the warranty period ( yours is ) then the dealer is supposed to give you a FREE rental car, or loan you one off the lot. It's part of the warranty package.
:shade:

I needed to get my air-conditioner fixed... not a big deal... but the part was 2 days away... and I got a FREE rental car ( brand new Ford Fusion ) for 3 days. ( 2 days to ship the part, 1 day to replace it )

-John

annied 05-09-2008 07:19 AM

LOL, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. I am not just a car idiot but also new to chat forums :cry:.
They never even asked if I needed a rental car! I will go by today and if there still is no progress, someone will get to hear my frustration. This whole situation is so bad, it's almost comical.