Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Battery ventilation (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/battery-ventilation-23806/)

subdewd 02-03-2010 04:12 AM

Battery ventilation

From reading the shop manual, it seemms the HVT uses cabin heat to warm. Seems like I can't get EV without the HVT @ 8C (from the oDO readout, don't have a scanguage yet) Anybody figure a way to force more heat into the battery say from a 12v space heater? haven't torn into it yet but is there an intake air duct? I know one duct gets air from by the left rear window when it's hot.
in the cabin? Don't the new toyotas use a heat exchange from the cat
for preheat? wonder if it be possible to retro fit something like that.
Thoughts, comments, anyone?

Billyk 02-03-2010 02:33 PM

Re: Battery ventilation

First, let us know what year vehicle you own.

gpsman1 02-03-2010 03:46 PM

The exhaust air goes into the cabin. The intake (only) comes from outside, or, the outside door is closed in cold ( or very hot ) conditions and the air recircs.

I know what Billy is going to say next if you have a 2007 or older.

No, there is no good way to heat the battery from the outside.
But, battery temperature DOES NOT determine if you can drive EV or not.
Many of us get EV drive when the battery is in negative ( 'C ) territory.
Only the amperage is reduced. It's never been deactivated for me. And I've been as low as -15 degrees.

It is a combination of ENGINE and CATALYST temperature that allows or disallowes EV drive.

HTH,
-John

subdewd 02-03-2010 06:47 PM

thanks, it's a 07 MMH, from what I've seen it goes closed loop within a minute, Is that the same as catalyst lights out? OK so I'm using a block heater and have got the radiator blocked. So Bill what were going to say? and thanks guys I'm new to hybrids
and trying to come up to speed. The wife bought a lex 400h in nov. and I found the tech so interesting I had to pick up something to play with.

gpsman1 02-06-2010 10:28 AM

If you have a 2007, you can use the BUILT-IN battery heater.
There is a 75 watt heater inside your pack.
You need to buy a 24-25v 3amp power supply ( sold separately of course ) to use it. It has a built in regulator of some type that turns the heat off to the battery at 60 degrees F.

subdewd 02-07-2010 05:15 AM

Yeah thanks, I have been altering my use of the cabin heater, ie using it less and it does make a difference, I had been trying to heat up the cabin thinking it would act to heat the HVTB but although it may have it actually had the effect of taking longer to get EV, engine temp, as you stated I suppose.