Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Anyone having problems with Continental Tires? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/anyone-having-problems-continental-tires-12800/)

camedian 06-06-2007 01:28 PM

Re: Anyone having problems with Continental Tires?

Last Thursday I had a flat tire. It wasn't repairable because the hole was too big. I only have 8k miles on my 2007 FEH, but this is the second tire I had to replace. Last time (at 2k miles) it was a nail very close to the sidewall.

Last time it took two days for the dealer to get the ecoplus, but at least they could find it in a warehouse somewhere. This time they told me that they couldn't find one. The service guy told me that the part number remained the same, but the "EcoPlus" word was no longer on the tires. He said the parts guy called a few places including the manufacturer and he got the same answer.

Since I was going to Las Vegas on Saturday, I accepted the non ecoplus tire. But was he telling the truth? What's the availability of EcoPlus tires in your area?

Tim K 06-06-2007 08:15 PM

Check out the tread pattern. When I wanted a fullsize spare the parts guy ordered the NON eco Plus conti that goes on the regular escapes/mariners. It looks pretty much the same except for the missing "eco plus"....HOWEVER, the tread pattern is clearly different. I went back and gave them the actual part number and phone number found elsewhere in this forum and had them order the correct one.

Billyk 06-06-2007 08:21 PM

Possible alternatives to the Continental Tire(s) could be
  • Nokian WR SUV--a 50,000 mile all season tire with the significant severe winter rating snowtire that combines winter capabilities and durabilities
  • Goodyear triple tred tires that combine the severe winter snow driving capabilities with lon. Better yet, these tires have a 60,000 mile warranty.:D

bar10dah 06-06-2007 09:22 PM

I'm not sure what version of Continentals are on the FEH, but my V6 Escape had some crummy Contis. I didn't really realize it at the time. I just rolled 40K on the odo and one of my tires was down to 2/32 tread depth. I was about to make a 2,500 mile trip, so I decided to replace them. I purchased the Falken Ziex S/TZ-04. Holy crap! The difference in road noise was impressive! I hadn't realized how noisy the stock tires really were! After doing over 2,500 miles last week on the Falkens, on 110 degree AZ highways and also in pouring rains, I'd recommend them to anybody.

camedian 06-08-2007 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K (Post 128371)
    Check out the tread pattern. When I wanted a fullsize spare the parts guy ordered the NON eco Plus conti that goes on the regular escapes/mariners. It looks pretty much the same except for the missing "eco plus"....HOWEVER, the tread pattern is clearly different.

The tread patterns are the same. I have 1200 miles on the new tire now. The vehicle doesn't pull to either the left or right.

econoline 06-08-2007 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by camedian (Post 128301)

Since I was going to Las Vegas on Saturday, I accepted the non ecoplus tire. But was he telling the truth? What's the availability of EcoPlus tires in your area?

I bought one from Discount Tire about a month ago to use as a full size spare. I called several other tire places around Ventura (CA) to compare prices, and all had next day access to the EcoPlus. The tire I bought appears identical in every way to the stock tires. I would have to say that availability is good.

UPDATE: I called customer service at Continentalusa.com, and they confirmed that the EcoPlus is available today in their warehouse, and they gave me an article number for the tire. They also said not to mix and match with the non-EcoPlus tire.

Then I went by Discount tire where I got mine, and they said the EcoPlus is discontinued, still available, and being replaced by the ContiTrac non-EcoPlus tire which has the same tread pattern.

Don't know if this helps or just adds to the confusion.

jmorton10 06-10-2007 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by bar10dah (Post 128385)
    I purchased the Falken Ziex S/TZ-04. Holy crap! The difference in road noise was impressive! I hadn't realized how noisy the stock tires really were! After doing over 2,500 miles last week on the Falkens, on 110 degree AZ highways and also in pouring rains, I'd recommend them to anybody.

Where did you buy them from??

I am thinking of bagging the ECO Plus tires from my 06 FEH as I just can't stand the road noise & I travel a lot. If I get 1 mpg less, I can live with that & enjoy the ride a LOT more.

~John

bar10dah 06-10-2007 08:31 AM

I can't tell any MPG difference in the new tires. I got them from Big O Tire. $460 installed.