Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Accidently Drove In Low Gear (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/accidently-drove-low-gear-23346/)

j.a.p 11-25-2009 04:19 PM

Accidently Drove In Low Gear

Hello all. Quick question. I believe I drove at high speeds with the trans in L. Will this cause problems? Reasons why or why not?

Billyk 11-25-2009 06:19 PM

Re: Accidently Drove In Low Gear

There is no "low" gear in the eCVT. No harm. Fuel efficiency may have sufferred.

MyPart 11-25-2009 06:28 PM

I accidentally drive in L all the time. The computer that controls the eCVT is smart enough to realize what's going on. In your '08, you should have noticed more regen (feels like a downshift and engine braking if you were in an ICE only vehicle) than normal when you let off the GO pedal but otherwise a normal driving experience.

No harm, no foul.

D-mac 11-26-2009 11:38 AM

Have fun with your friends sometime by speeding down the highway and throwing your transmission in reverse! Nothing will happen. This will show you that the FEH's eCVT is not really geared like a conventional transmission.

Bill Winney 11-27-2009 08:34 AM

Driving in low only affects the engine braking while decelerating. There is no other effect.

Life is good, drive on!

stevedebi 11-30-2009 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by j.a.p (Post 214455)
Hello all. Quick question. I believe I drove at high speeds with the trans in L. Will this cause problems? Reasons why or why not?

I use low at all speeds, whenever I need to keep the vehicle slower on the down hills. I use it at 70 MPH all the time on a certain long downhill near my home.