Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   40+ MPG Tank with 4WD FEH! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/40-mpg-tank-4wd-feh-13956/)

Pravus Prime 06-10-2007 06:51 PM

40+ MPG Tank with 4WD FEH!

Hey all!

I'm pretty stoked right now, I filled up today because I found a station selling for under $3, and tomorrow I'm having an NPR person come by to interview me about my hybrid and hypermiling, but lo and behold, I did it, I ended up averaging 40.2 MPG over 513 Miles! My first 40 Plus tank, and my goal for the summer! Whoo!!!! :D :D :D

I wasn't excited all along, because my FCD was only showing 38.9, a high for me, but nothing that tremendous, but calculating it by hand, I found it was low. (This marks the fourth time it's been low, usually it's within .3)

Heh, double what most conventional AWD Escape owners ever see. Whoo!!! :shade:

Oh, for the record, I did that without Key FASing or Drafting, just driving smart and using the hybrid technology to its potential! :sun:

WScottCross 06-11-2007 07:25 AM

Re: 40+ MPG Tank with 4WD FEH!

Rich, very nice acheivement!

What was the breakdown on driving with that tank (how much city/highway/backroad)? My best with my AWD is 35MPG, that's with 70% highway, 20% backroads and 10% city. Also, my route is quite hilly at highway speeds so that takes a bit more off. I have a little over 30,000 on mine and I think I'm driving smart but I'm curious how your driving environment compares.

Pravus Prime 06-11-2007 11:33 AM

Scott,

This tank was about 80% City, 10% "Backroads" (Dirt/seldom used subdivision), 10% Expressway. Yeah, it's a lot of city driving on this tank, normally there's more highway driving, but that's not how things worked out this tank.

Today I did the NPR interview, which the drive was a 41 mile round trip, 50% Expressway, 50% City which I averaged 40.4 with the NPR guy interviewing me as we went along.

jmorton10 06-11-2007 12:34 PM

I have never gotten much over 30 mpg with my 06 4WD FEH, but I'm not real fanatical about it either. I did get 42 mpg for a 1/2 tank once just to see if I could do it, but after that I went back to more normal driving techniques.

I was driving a minivan that got 16 mpg before (& I HATED the thing), so to be able to get anywhere near 30 mpg in a 4WD SUV (that I absolutely love) is just fine by me......

~John

jmorton10 06-11-2007 12:38 PM

As an amusing aside, I was recently driving an H2 Hummer that we took in trade at the car dealer I work at.

I was flipping through the trip computer screens & had to laugh when I got to the average mpg screen, it was reading 10.2 mpg.................

How would you like to drive that day in & day out???

~John

Brady 06-11-2007 12:49 PM

Nice work Rich! I also achieved a 40.2 tank for the first time today!!

My secret weapon is not something people would normally take joy in- traffic! My commute is mostly expressway, but I average around 25mph or so with the congestion. If the congestion is too heavy, the engine spins up for regen and I lose... if it's too light I drive fast and my mileage takes a hit. But if I have the right "roll and go" conditions I can do alright. :D

I was also treated to a new best MTE after filling up:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...7/610small.jpg

TeeSter 06-11-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 129304)
As an amusing aside, I was recently driving an H2 Hummer that we took in trade at the car dealer I work at.

I was flipping through the trip computer screens & had to laugh when I got to the average mpg screen, it was reading 10.2 mpg.................

~John

Hmmmm.... must've had a hypermiler at the wheel before you. ;)

gpsman1 06-11-2007 04:22 PM

No no..... that would have been a hypomiler.
:shade:-John

Muhman 06-11-2007 09:24 PM

Kewl! I was going to post that I had my first 500mile plus tank. I had one going again this week because I had jury duty (mostly city driving) but I ran late a couple times. :(

For an AWD, that's pretty darn good! It took awhile (34K + miles)

andyh 06-15-2007 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 129304)

~John

Actually......that's about norm for my F-250, and I drove it every day for a few years. On one hand, I don't drive much, so the truth is.....the savings in dollars don't matter so much. It was the economics of keeping one vehicle instead of trying to maintain two. But I knew why I had to have an F-250.....I've never quite figured out why someone would have to have an H-2. At $3 a gallon, plenty of people will still buy one just because they want it.

Perhaps tax it to $5 a gallon, and use the money for alternatives...???